13

"What the hell is this?" Diana yelled as she came storming out of the house.

"He's going to be fine Dia." I said calmly as I opened the back of the ambulance. "Let's just get him inside alright."

She gave me space to pull the steps out from the bumper and Nestor grabbed one of Marcus' arms to help him climb down. I took the other side and together we moved him inside to the couch. Shaky closed up the van and carried her bag inside. She placed it beside the seat and quickly finished the stitches she had started where she pulled the bullet from.

"All done." She said as she packed up. "Keep them clean and covered. Any sign of infection call me."

I gave her a quick hug before she left to return the 'borrowed' ambulance. Dia was sitting beside Marcus holding his hand like a vice.

"Nestor, this is my wife Diana." Marcus introduced him as feet padded along the hall.

"Regina!" A squeal came from the young girl as she ran and jumped on me.

"Tessa," I smiled as I caught her, "you should be sleeping. How are we meant to go to the waterpark if you are tired?"

"Are you still alright to go?" Dia asked as she saw how tired I was.

"Sure, a quick nap and I'll be good as new. I wouldn't miss your 11th birthday party bonita." I said as I hugged Tessa. "Let's get you back to bed."

She jumped off and kissed her parents goodnight before grabbing my hand and towing me to her room. We squeezed into her single bed and I started talking about the adventures I went on with my mom as a kid, the states I had been to and all the cars we drove. In a matter of minutes she was snoring and I snuck my arm out from under her head.

Since meeting Marcus almost three months ago he had me meet Diana, since neither of us had female friends down here. We hit it off and I had been babysitting Tessa at least twice a week ever since. I backed out of the room silently and bumped into someone. I turned around to apologise thinking it was Dia but frowned when it was Nestor's eyes I saw.

"Not the bedtime stories I imagined for a girl." He said with his head slightly tilted. "Must have been strange growing up on the move."

"It's stranger to stay in one place." I said walking past him.

He didn't move so our bodies were forced to touch under the doorway. He grabbed my arm and stopped me from going back to the lounge.

"They have gone to bed." He said.

"You can have the room there." I said pointing to the room I usually stayed in. "I'll take the couch."

"We are adults Gina, we can both sleep in the same bed."

His quiet words sent a pleasant shiver down my spine and I noticed he still hadn't let go of my arm. I gave a small nod and he released me before moving his hand to my lower back. He guided me to the door as if he was afraid I would bolt. I opened it and walked to the drawers that had some of my clothes. I grabbed a singlet out before pulling my shirt over my head and removing my bra. Once the singlet was on I kicked my jeans off and turned to see Nestor sitting on the bed watching.

I rolled my eyes and climbed onto the bed as he took his pants off and folded them neatly. I lay in my usual position but that meant me facing Nestor, who was facing me. I closed my eyes and tried to ignore him.

"Roll over." I grumbled after a few minutes of feeling him stare at me.

"This is how I sleep." He replied without moving.