The Secrets That I Hide

//DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN TOKYO GHOUL. I DO NOT OWN THE ANYTHING RELATING TO SAID SHOW AND BOOK(S). I OWN NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! RATED PG-13 DUE TO VIOLENCE//

*The following fanfiction is boy x boy, if you DON’T like it, DON’T read it!*

My name is Hide. You pronounce it like He-day. I feel like you should pronounce it as hide. Not because that is how it is spelled... But because I have many secrets to hide. I can give you some examples of my many secrets.  One, I’m in love with my best friend. Even though it is true, I’ll admit that statement sounds cliché. Although that secret is important to keep hidden, there is another that is even bigger, MONSTROUS. I am a ghoul.

AM 

GHOUL.

I eat flesh. I rip humans apart, limb by limb, literally eating finger food. I devour humans raw, uncooked, but still warm. I hunt, I kill... Some say I’m a murder, which I suppose I am. Then again, who can really control themselves when they are hungry? 

FLESH. 

MEAT.

It is addicting, like most tasty things. Ghouls like flesh like humans like chocolate... They always want more, they can never get enough. They desperately try to suppress their cravings... They nearly drive themselves crazy doing so. They start foaming at the mouth, turing into a beast with each sharp intake of breath. 

Breath. 

A human’s last breath can smell like a spring breeze. It can bring about a strange feeling of calm and comfort. Well, normally it does. Not this time, not this time... 

“KANEKI!” I scream, unable to believe my own eyes. He lays before me, bloodied and bruised. He looks like he got beat up... No, he looks worse than that. His eyes are frozen open, stuck in a constant and unrelenting look of pure fear and surprise. His dark silky hair blends in with the shadows, and his now pale skin seems to glow within the moonlight. “Who did this... Who did this to you, Kaneki?” I ask, noticing the deep, seemingly unending bite marks on his shoulders, and the large gash across his chest. “What did the ghoul look like?” As I wait for him to respond, to say something, to prove that he is still alive... I make a mental list of who could have attacked him. Could it have been someone from that coffee shop that he insisted going to the other day? Could someone have befriended him, lured him in close before... 

Kaneki’s blood smells sweet. The smell is hard to describe... It gives off an sense of foreboding... As if trying it is trying to warn you that it could and probably does have an addicting taste. His blood seems to be everywhere... Staining HIS clothes, staining MY clothes, staining the ground, the nearby wall... How much blood can a human lose before they die? 

“Hide,” he whispers in a voice barely audible, “In this light, in this pale moonlight, your hair looks like a halo.” I nearly jump for joy when I hear him speak. Kaneki is alive! Kaneki is alive! Kaneki is... 

He coughs and sputters violently, sending a fresh spray of blood across my chest. He begins to slip away, his eyes starting to close. I also start to slip, saliva building up in my mouth. I can feel myself slipping away along with Kaneki, my control slowly withering away before being reduced to forgettable ashes;  ashes that will easily be swept away by the wind. “Who did this to you?” I ask, once more. I need to know before I leave, before I go get help, and before I turn into my true self, before I turn into a monster.