Kiss and tell

Mirah was left alone, as per request. She could then allow her thoughts to wander, creating the possible scenarios when she confronts Lucas. Earlier when she thought about how she could step away from all the current drama, she turned up without a solution. Now, the perfect opportunity arose for her to appear innocent in the matter. 

She merely maintained the breath in her lungs when Lucas walked through the door frame, apologizing already before she could even open her mouth. 

"I promise you, I didn't know that you'd get lost," he continued to ramble, "I love you so, so, so much. I can't begin to imagine what I would've done if I had lost you."

She could tell he had difficulty in sounding apologetic, smothering her all over with care she'd rather not receive from him. She cut him off when she could, asking him why he did it. He was unable to give her an answer, averting his eyes to the floor once again. 

"Jessica asked me to," he admitted reprehensibly. Mirah's entire heart sank. 

Jessica...we have spent so much time together...I trust her

"Why would she?" Lucas couldn't look her in the eyes and she started being more distressed, raising her voice toward him to ask what she didn't know. When he still refused to speak, the truth hit her harder than a bag of bricks would.

"You love her, don't you." His silence was all the confirmation she needed. 

"I deserve it if you're going to yell at me, I deserve your anger and disappointment. Please, just don't be mad at her," were the first words he spoke. 

"You never loved me to begin with," she whispered, coming to the realization which has always been the ugly truth.

"Mirah-" he attempted consoling her with an outstretched arm touching her folded hands on her lap, but she shook off his cold touch with great disgust. 

"I trusted both of you!" she concluded. From the scene, another shadow appeared falling to the floor. Before them stood Jessica with folded arms across her chest. 

"That was your first mistake." She spoke with such pretension that bile started to rise in Mirah's stomach. Her arms then fell to her sides as she crossed the floor's surface with long strides, making her way toward the injured girl. She signaled for Lucas to leave, obviously having said enough. 

"Look, I'll not give you any more trouble than I already have," she looked her up and down with a stern face, "but I will ask you to break up with your boyfriend. Or I tell him that you kissed Asher even though you are still together."

Mirah frowned. Obviously, the two had a thing for another and her guess would be that they'd like to be together. 

"Why would it matter if he knew? Clearly, he adores the ground you walk on. So much so that he was willing to drive me into the depths of the woods... or was that your doing?" she looked up to Jessica with a raised chin and a confident burnt eyes. 

"Who knows," she shrugged, "It's your word against mine. And besides, you really don't want a bad name behind the good girl act, do you?" she flicked her hair over her shoulder and strutted out of the doorframe.