Chapter 21 - The Negotiation

Reetha Khan

I stood at the front with Wolffe and Ranz, the other Lew'elan guards waited slightly at the back. Not more than an hour later, as I rested by the fire, the sound of land-speeders woke us. 

The guards gathered their weapons and prepared to fight but I signalled them to stop. Ranz had agreed to open negotiations with these pirates, and hopefully, it does not fail. Wolffe followed me to the main square, where we waited for the pirates. 

"I do hope your negotiations don't fail you. I for one think these scum don't listen to anything, but violence." Ranz licked his lips as he anxiously waited beside me. 

"That does not mean they won't be open to it. You never know until you try." Wolffe checked his blasters, putting them on stun as I told him to, earlier. 

The first few speeders came through the jungle, and soon, we were standing face to face with a band of pirates. Although I believe that they could be reasoned with, I was still on edge, hand ready by my lightsaber. The Weequay pirates stopped at the border of the square, the Lew'elan guards tightened their grips on their weapons. Sparring one last glance to the two men beside me, I stepped forward, asserting my presence and hoped to draw out the pirate leadership.

Both parties did not make a move on the other as they partook in an intense staring competition. Finally, from what seemed like an hour, a Weequay wearing a red cloak boasted his greetings. "Well, well, well. Chief Ranz. I see you have come to greet me! And here I thought we could not be friends." 

"Hondo." I could hear the annoyance dripping of his voice. 

Hondo nodded to Ranz then turned to face me. "And who do we have here? A little lady, it seems. Might a handsome pirate like me get your name as well?" Reaching out his hand to shake mine.

While I nearly choked on my sentence, I spared him a mock salute. "Reetha. Commander Reetha Khan." 

Hondo threw his hands in the air and laughed. "HAHA! A Jedi. Pleased to meet your acquaintance. I assume you have your um, clones, with you?" he looked over my shoulder, scanning the background.

"Oh, there's one right there. Well, not much. Don't be much trouble now!" I turned to look at Wolffe. He was wearing his helmet, but I could already imagine the deadpanned look he wore on his face. 

"So, the word is you have been giving this village some trouble," I said, turning to face the jumpy Weequay. 

"My dear, and where did you hear that rumour? Is it from...the gangly boy?" He pointed a finger at Ranz, getting some laughter from his crew. "He, he now, is my best friend." Hondo walked pass me towards Ranz and threw a hand across his shoulder. 

"See, buddies. Like my mother used to say, make more friends than enemies. Then, you are less likely to die." 

Shaking my head, I decided to get straight to the point. "Save the theatrics. I know why your here." 

Hondo released Ranz and put on a frown on his face. "Straight to the point I see. It seems I cannot beat around the bush as I do with Kenobi." 

I shrugged and tilted my chin to Ranz. "You have caused much trouble for his people. As a Jedi, my duty is to protect the peace. In this case, the peace of his village." 

Hondo sighed and rubbed at his temple. "I am just a simple man, trying to make my way through this universe. Is that wrong?" 

"When the safety of the innocent is jeopardized? Yes." 

Hondo looked at me. I could tell that he was not expecting a Jedi to be involved in this. "What are you doing here anyway? This is not a Republic matter. It's not even a Republic planet. This is no Jedi business."