Chapter 8

I walked down to Dorm 6 with Johav following not too far behind me. The brightly lit hallway had 6 doors, each one leading to a dorm room. I opened the thick metal door and it slid open soundlessly. We both walked in without a word to each other. Then we saw the beds. It was a bunk bed. We looked at each other and both bolted for  the top bunk, but I clambered up the ladder first and claimed it. We laughed and Johav said, "Fine, it's yours! I guess I'll suffer down here." He crawled into the bottom bunk and sat on the pillow. Strange,  I thought. He was scrolling through his phone for a while so I got down and walked to the en suite bathroom. I closed the door and saw a small closet. There were purple and orange pajamas, two gray bodysuits like the one I was wearing under my space suit, and two helmets. I took the purple helmet and looked at it a bit, then put it on my head. I heard a click and a swishing sound, and then lots of beeping robotics. A screen came up on the inside of my visor and showed a picture of Rowundah. She gave me one of her smiles and I heard her voice again. "I told you that everything UGIS has is connected." Woah, I thought. It felt like I was wearing a VR headset, except for the fact that I could see where I really was. "So, do you like live in all the computer-y stuff?" I asked the tiny Rowundah. "If you choose to see it that way. I like to think that  am the computer, and truly, I am. But when you are stuck living in a digiverse, it gets a little tiring, even for a robotic assistant. I am in all the helmets, which you will be wearing for most of your trip. You should sleep now. And tell your captain what you have learned." "I will. Thanks Rowundah." I tried to wavhk/jay, but only remembered that she wasn't really there when I walked into the bathroom door. I took off the helmet with another click and woosh and shook my head. My hair was a little messed up now, but it didn't matter. At least the helmet stopped me from hurting my head from impact, because it hit hard. Johav must have heard the thump because he knocked on the door. "Come in," I told him. "He cracked open the door and said, "You good? It sounded like you just walked into the door." "I did," I told him in a matter-of-factly voice. "Wait, really? Didn't it hurt?" "Nope," I told him. "We have helmets to wear now." "Cool!" He exclaimed, grabbing his orange helmet from the closet shelf. "Don't put it on your head right now though, you'd get distracted. We gotta get to sleep now." "Ok." He put the helmet back on the shelf and I copied him, then closed the door and took a shower. I changed into my purple pajamas and climbed the ladder to my bed. Suddenly Rowundah's voice said "It is 9:00. Since all of you are in your rooms, please be prepared for nighttime procedures." The lights turned off slowly and the ship just seemed to grow... still? I don't know how to describe it. It didn't feel like we were on a space ship at all. Johav interrupted my thoughts. "So, I know I'm supposed to be your guys's captain and all, but I have no idea what to do. Would you mind if... if I asked you to help me?" 'Course not, Captain," I said, and leant down over the side of my bed so I could see him. My hair didn't look like a curtain thankfully, due to the braid I wove in it this morning. "What do you need?" "Well... that's the thing. I don't know. My UGIS training wasn't centered on becoming a captain of a ship." "Hmmm... well, I guess just be confident in yourself. We're a team after all, so to gain everyone's respect you have to show them how you lead." He ran a hand through his black hair. "Yeah, I guess you're right," he told me. Then he gave me a small smile. "In that case, go to sleep. You'll need it for tomorrow." I grinned back. "Sure thing, Sir." I pulled myself back up onto the bed, but he answered, "Don't call me Sir. It's ok. Call me Johav. I don't like all the official titles people give out. It makes me feel like I can't live up to them." I laid down on the bed and said, "Well, you're probably going to have to get used to it. I don't think everyone knows each other enough to be on first name basis already." "Ooh, you're right. We could have code names, or go by our colors! But... I don't think I wanna be called Orange." I laughed. He had a point. I wouldn't be able to stand being called Purple. I pulled my blanket over me snuggled down. I sank into the haze and quickly fell asleep. 

Authors note- this chapter's a little short, sorry about that! I speed typed this late at night so pls don't judge me. If you have ideas drop them in the comments. Also... who do you think the imposters are? Do you think Aura will fall for one of her crewmates? If so, who? And what is UGIS hiding that they don't want people to know? Find out soon! :3