Chapter 7: Plans

"Hey you two! I don't know if I said this before, but you two make such a cute couple!" Pinkie Pie said with a giggle as Evan and Fluttershy came up to the counter in the Sugarcube Corner.

"Thank you, Pinkie," Fluttershy said with a giggle and a blush. "You don't have to say it that loud though."

"Oh, sorry. You two make such a cute couple." Pinkie whispered to them.

"Thanks, Pinkie. So, could we get some smoothies?" Evan asked.

"Sure! How do you like them? Apple smoothie? Banana smoothie? Mixed with different fruits? Balloons or streamers? With electronic dance music? Or maybe like a candy flavor?" Pinkie Pie asked, emphasizing the second to last question.

"Uhh, I'll take different fruits. You can put the electronic dance music on the side." Evan said with a nod.

"I'll take the banana." Fluttershy said with a nod.

"Here you go!" Pinkie Pie set their smoothies on the counter for them. They both flinched in surprise.

"You already made them? We just ordered them." Evan said.

"I'm the best there is at what I do, bub." Pinkie Pie said with a giggle as she slid their drinks over to them. Evan took his with a chuckle.

"Alright. Well, see you later then." He said as they turned and left. Pinkie Pie rubbed her hooves together.

"Electronic dance music. Check."

"Hey! I was wondering where you went." Pinkie said as she approached Alex and Starlight. They had gone just outside of Ponyville to fly kites.

"Hey, Pinkie Pie. What's up?" Alex greeted them as she sat with them.

"Oh nothing, just going around asking my friends personal questions. I mean, for no reason at all that is, silly filly." Pinkie said, patting his back.

"Uh okay. I'm not a big fan of personal questions." Alex said.

"Noted! So, what kind of music do you like? I was just looking at your cutie mark there."

"All kinds, I guess. I just listen to whatever sounds good." Alex answered with a shrug.

"I don't know. I guess maybe a song with a meaning is good for me. I used to like-"

"Would you consider yourself a dancing pony? Like on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being, 'Ooh I love to dance ALL the time!' and 1 being, 'Ugh, dancing, I hate dancing, it's the worst! Egh!'" Pinkie Pie asked Alex, cutting off Starlight's answer.

"I don't know. I like dancing. I don't necessarily consider myself a great dancer but others might say something different. So, maybe like an 8?" Alex decided.

"Like an 8? I can dig that. Cupcakes or cake?" She asked.

"Both are fine, I guess. Depends on the flavor. I'm a vanilla cake and vanilla frosting kinda guy," Alex described. "What are all these questions for?" He asked.

"What about ice cream? Is it vanilla for you too?" Pinkie asked, leaning closer to him.

"I don't know. I mean, vanilla and mint ice cream. One or the other. You still haven't-"

"So if you had to choose between cake or cupcakes or ice cream, which would be terrible because they're all so so very good, which would you choose?" Pinkie Pie asked. Alex shook his head a bit.

"Uhh, cupcakes." He decided.

"Got it! Thanks for your time!" Pinkie said, shaking his hoof before rushing off quickly.

"What was that about?" Alex asked, looking at Starlight. Starlight shrugged.

"Knowing Pinkie, she's probably planning a surprise party." She answered.

"A surprise party? Okay." He nodded with a shrug.

"So, you were saying?" Starlight asked. Alex paused.

"Uh... What was I talking about?"

"You were talking about the last time you used a kite?" Starlight reminded him.

"Oh yeah, right! So I had it all the way up, string was completely unfurled. I'm talking it was in the clouds man, it was crazy. Well, as I was furling it to bring it back down, I lost my grip on the handle, and it shot away so fast I didn't get to see where it went, and I never saw it again."

"Ah yep. See, that's a classic case of not watching out for with wind speeds increasing exponentially with how high your kite is." Starlight said with a nod.

"What're you, some kind of kite-flying guru?" He asked with a chuckle.

"I mean, I could be. Maybe I could coach." She joked.

"Oh yeah, there you go." Alex said with a nod and a chuckle. There was some silence between them for a little bit.

"So, can I ask a bit of a personal question, Alex?" Starlight asked.

"Great, more personal questions." Alex said with a chuckle. Starlight laughed a little bit.

"No, don't worry, I only have one. I just, you know, we were talking the other day and I was telling you a bit about myself, I figured this would be a good time for me to ask a little about you, you know." Starlight explained her reasoning.

"Yeah, that's fair. Uh, what do you wanna know I guess is the real question?" Alex asked. Starlight hummed.

"I don't know really. Just tell me a bit about where you're from. Like, getting to the point that you are now." Starlight suggested. Alex nodded.

"Okay. Well, uh...never really been asked this before." He said with a chuckle as he tried to come up with an answer to give her that would be sufficient.

"It's alright, take your time." Starlight encouraged with a smile.

"Okay. Well, I grew up in a small town, moved around a couple times, I lived with my Mom and little brother for awhile, then when I got up into my 20's, I moved out and into the apartment I'm currently living in. I don't see them too often, but I call them every week or two." Alex briefly summarized.

"What about your Dad? He wasn't with you guys?" Starlight asked.

"He was for awhile. He was military, so he often went on tour. Eventually, our parents split, which is why I grew up mainly with my Mom." Alex explained.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that." Starlight said.

"Eh, it's alright. It happens a lot where I'm from. Anyways, most of the stuff that I enjoy I had to find for myself, and I just kinda drifted my way to being self-sufficient, if that makes any sense." Alex described.

"I think I understand," Starlight nodded. "You seem to be a little lonely, if you don't mind me saying." Starlight observed. Alex shrugged.

"I mean, I don't know. It's alright. I got Rainbow Dash now and you guys. I have friends back on Earth of course. We just all work a lot, so it's hard to line schedules up." Alex explained.

"I gotcha. So, what do you plan to do now that you can come here?" Starlight asked curiously.

"I don't know really. I guess just hang out. I know Rarity's all excited about the Pony Tones thing. I guess I'll just do some more drifting and see where I end up." Alex said with a nod.

"Alright." Starlight nodded as well, looking back up at her kite.