8- Friends

Matt pov:

I'm playing Super Mario on my DS. I think it's been an hour... or 3 since I started. You would think that in 2 years I would have some friends, but no. My DS is my only friend since the other kids don't want to be friends and Mello only talks to me when he has to, usually screaming that I'm annoying him. He tries too hard to seem a bad boy. I know that he's actually a softie. I heard him cry at night or in the bathroom. It's usually because of Near passing him in everything. Everyone considered Mello the second, Near always being the first. He may act like he doesn't care but I know he does. Once I tried to talk to him about it, BIG mistake. 

A few months ago:

"Hey, Mello! I heard you cry last night a-and I want you to know that if you need to talk-" Mello gets angry and starts yelling "I don't need anyone to talk to and If you tell anyone that I cried last night I'll cut your tongue so you will never be able to speak!"

Like I said: big mistake. I get out of my bed and sit on the floor on my stomach. Roger told me to change positions while playing video games so I won't get scoliosis. I hear the door opening with anger and some quiet sobs. I move a little to see Mello crying. I never actually saw him cry before, only heard him. Mello's eyes were red and puffy. He looks around not seeing me and then proceeds to collapse on the floor hysterically crying.

Should I go and comfort him. I mean he is an asshole with me, but I can't hate him, or anyone in general. In my opinion, everyone deserves a little compassion so I decide to try to talk with him. I get up silently and place a hand on his back. He twitched a little, but Mello was too weak to fight me.

Mello pov:

I felt Matt's arm on my back. I was going to say something, but I was too weak from all the crying. Seeing that I didn't protest he started rubbing my back. I calmed down after a while. "What happened?" he asked me softly. "Near happened. L told him he has more potential to become his successor than anyone here. I hate Near. It was supposed to be me! I was supposed to be his successor! Not that albino freak!" and with that, a few more tears rolled down my cheek. He didn't say a word, probably knowing that there was nothing he could say to make me feel better. Then he hugged me. It was a nice friendly hug. I mean I think it was nice since no one hugged me to know how it should feel. Why was he hugging me? Why did I even tell Matt about my problems? "Why are you doing this?" I suddenly. "W-what?" Matt said with a confused look."Why are you being so... nice?". "Because I am your friend" he stated like it was the most natural and normal thing to say "Well I am not your friend," I say not wanting him to get the feeling like we are friends. "You don't have to be my friend for me to be yours" and with those words, I realized that I could really use a friend like him.