Kam (ish)

Please turn back now. I warn you, I wrote this crap at two a.m., and you will hate it. YOU WILL HATE IT. I mean, I hate it, but please comment and vote this chapter as the worst! :)

When he was sent down from heaven to watch over his next assigned recipient of care, Tam had to admit, he didn't expect the boy to be such a . . . well, a prankster. He was always told that, as a guardian angel, he had to be understanding. He had to empathize with whomever he was assigned to, realize emotionally how different aspects impact their lives. But when his next assignment was described as, 'particularly difficult to handle,' he wasn't exactly thrilled.

Apparently the first three angels sent to watch over him applied for a release from duty within three days. Which, in less business-heaven terms, meant they were so emotionally exhausted, they never wanted to do anything ever again except lie on a cloud and sip champagne (which was abolished several years ago after a drunk angel ended up losing his charge and was found a few days later wreaking havoc amongst the angels).

A release from duty.

Tam didn't want that. He'd only been a guardian angel for a couple years, and had taken care of an adorable little girl, who giggled every time he leaned down and allowed her to poke his nose. He didn't need anyone to ruin his sturdy job now.

But there he was, ready to knock the well-sanded wooden door of the enormous mansion. Short yet majestic, the building displayed an unimpressive height of two floors, and an insane width that spread around a circular plot of land with well-trimmed trees and shrubs. Tall towers soared high above them, with white with pitch black roofs like the rest of the building. It looked more pretentious than most, like whoever owned the house wasn't afraid of wast — er, spending their money. Several dark-tinted windows lined the walls, and a huge glass balcony extended over the front porch with gold railings, holding a swimming pool and lounge chairs Tam couldn't wait to sneak an hour or two hanging out in.

As an all-righteous angel, he wasn't technically supposed to do that. But technically, angels didn't wear all black, and refuse to wear their ridiculous gold circlets, or tip their bangs in silver metal, and constantly imagine themselves insulting everyone around them.

Tam took a deep breath, shaking himself out of his thoughts, and rang the gold-plated doorbell. Promptly, inhuman shrieks greeted his unsuspecting ears and he clapped his hands over them. Pain echoed in his mind, turning each and every thought to dust as he could only focus on the voices. They streaked lightning through his veins, forcing shudders down his spine until he couldn't stop shivering.

Stay calm, part of his brain told him, while the other part screamed, WHAT KIND OF KID HAS TORTUROUS SCREAMS AS THEIR DOORBELL???

Nevertheless, he squeezed his eyes shut, waiting, hoping, begging the echoes in his head to fade away. Waiting, waiting, waiting . . . he wasn't sure how much time had passed until someone poked his arm and flicked his silver bangs.

"Bad hair day?" someone wondered.

Tam ducked. "So you're the one?"

"The what?" said a voice, clearly curious by the angel-that-didn't-look-like-an-angel standing on his doorstep.

"The one I'm supposed to look after. I'm your angel," he replied, glancing up to find a handsome teenage boy smirking at him. His tousled blond hair fell onto his forehead a bit, so perfectly imperfect, Tam had a strange urge to try and mess it up to see if it would look bad. But he doubted it would work. Of course it didn't look bad. None of the boy did. With humor dancing behind his ice-blue eyes, flickering like a roaring ice fire, and a crooked, gorgeous smirk tugging at the edge of his lips, his charge was effortlessly striking.