Not my beau

The aunts of House Aster were never going to agree to Annalisa's proposal that Genevieve should stand forward as a contender for the throne without a fight. Seconds after Annalisa's announcement, Zya stood up dramatically, fury in her eyes. "No noble worth their blood would stand with a former scribe!"

Annalisa stood up too. "Yet, here I stand. Am I not worth my blood?"

"That's not.. what I meant was.."

Genevieve stood with her sister. "The choice is simple, Aunt Zya. Stand with me, or we will perish."

Elise abruptly stood from her chair and placed her hands on the table. "From what I've seen tonight, Genevieve would continue to make a fine head of House. She will have our support."

Zya looked furiously at Elise. "You dare speak for me?"

"I dare nothing more than you've dared since the day I was born," Elise said, confidently. "Enough, Zya. What they propose makes sense. It is our best chance."

Zya sighed and drooped her shoulders. "You are right, Elise."

"So, you'll join us?" Genevieve looked around the room in hope.

"Your plan might be stupid enough to work," Zya conceded. "But I cannot help you."

"What prevents you from helping your own family?"

Zya sighed again, and sat back down. The others did the same. Genevieve looked at Zya encouragingly.

"While you were recovering, Renza summoned Elise and myself to her residence. Thinking you and Annalisa were both incapacitated, or dead, she demanded our support. It's not that I want to support Renza...." Zya put her hands in front of her face. "She is blackmailing me."

"Well, I'm not entirely surprised to hear this," Genevieve admitted.

"A truly vile woman," agreed Elise. "I'm sorry I ever complimented her dress."

Annalisa looked perplexed. "What could Renza possibly have on you, Aunt Zya?"

"If you tell us, we can help you," Genevieve added.

"We are far beyond the point of help," Zya despaired. "I have to keep my promise or face the consequences. So put your delusions of grandeur behind you. House Aster announces its support for Queen Renza Fierro tomorrow."

She walked out of the room, angrily.

Vasco called into the room. "Your Ladyships – the King Regent and the Crown Shield."

Genevieve smiled to herself as her two friends marched in. They'd obviously been so desperate to find out how this little pow-wow had gone, they'd hung around.

"I doubt Zya swearing on her way out precedes good news," Hunter sighed.

"Well," Genevieve said to Hunter. "In a nutshell, I'm going to run for the throne."

Hunter and Kayden's mouths fell agape, and Annalisa and Genevieve glanced at each other in amusement.

Eventually, Hunter stammered out a response. "I stand corrected. Genevieve, that's.."

"Bold," mused Kayden.

"Too bold, according to Zya," Genevieve explained. "She won't support me as head of House Aster. Renza is blackmailing her with something."