CHAPTER ONE

Rain drummed against the kitchen window in a steady, unending rhythm, yet the soothing sound did nothing to calm his pulse

Rain drummed against the kitchen window in a steady, unending rhythm, yet the soothing sound did nothing to calm his pulse. Wang Yibo opened the oven, pulled out the pan, and checked on the beef roast. Another couple of hours or so before the roast would be ready for supper.

Straightening, he glanced about the kitchen. The vegetables were in with the roast, the bread on the worktable shouldn’t be cut until directly before the meal, and the sink was empty of anything to wash.

Absolutely nothing left to do but wait.

What was taking Zhan Ge so long?

“Wait in the kitchen. Won’t take me but a moment to gather a few things,”

Zhan had said.

Yibo had heard Zhan come back down the stairs a good couple of minutes ago. What the hell was he doing in the study? Why hadn’t Zhan called for him yet?

Unless Zhan had not heard him. It was raining, after all. Perhaps the sound had drowned out Zhan’s voice.

The driving rain had been what had prompted the game. No chance of a neighbor stopping by the quaint cottage, unless said neighbor was of a mind to get soaked through and that possibility was remote enough to push it to nonexistent. Yibo had a small though decent selection of books in the study, but why spend the afternoon reading when the time could be put to much better use?

Yibo had voiced the idea to his lover, and Zhan had selected the game—‘the physician and his patient’.

A fresh bolt of anticipation swept through Yibo at the prospect of whiling away the afternoon not only playing an erotic game with Zhan, but playing a new game. Why Yibo had never thought of this particular
game before he hadn’t the faintest notion. Clearly Zhan had toyed with the idea at least somewhat, for it had taken him less than a moment to propose it.

He tossed the small towel he’d used to check on the roast onto the counter. Enough waiting. Ten minutes had to have passed. Clearly he’d not heard Zhan’s call.

“I’m ready.”

Zhan’s voice drifted into the kitchen, followed by the snap of a door closing.

Yibo bolted out of the kitchen and down the short corridor, coming to a stop before the study door.

Closing his eyes, he gave himself a moment to slip into his role. A prospective patient with a nervous complaint. A little smile flittered across his lips. He had a fair notion the physician’s prescription would involve an orgasm on both of their parts. How they would reach that point…well, therein laid the fun.

Zhan hadn’t instructed him to don anything specific, therefore the brown trousers, white shirt, and plain tan waistcoat Yibo had pulled on that morning must fit the game.

One deep breath. Then another. He had a nervous complaint, and as he’d never made the acquaintance of Mr. Xiao Zhan, he’d also be…uncertain. Desperate for assistance yet reluctant to ask for the good physician’s opinion.