Part 10

**3 days from last chapter**

School was becoming easier. While yes she had detention, people were starting to finally leave her alone, and while she occasionally got mean notes- people were leaving it. She felt really grateful to that one kid Mathias's friend for apologizing and making things right.

It had officially been a month since the Thompsons had brought her home after her attempted run-away. Sure, it was a whole month of semi-awkwardness; a month of crying and laughing. Yet, it felt alright. Nick had been working hard to improve her relationships with all of the Thompsons, and they too had worked hard to make things right with Nick. All of them had lovingly accepted it, and she couldn't have asked for more.

Not to mention... Will was maybe going to be her boyfriend? 

She always smiled whenever he texted her. They decided they were going to meet up every weekend or so at the park to get something to eat. Nick couldn't wait for the weekend, she couldn't wait for the sweet, simple little dates. Will had been a great support to her through the crap of the past few months, and they were happy together.

So yes, she was grateful for Will.

Nick would soon find, that she was especially grateful for Jeremey. 

***

That night, on the one-month anniversary of her "run away," Nick awoke from a nightmare. 

She awoke drenched in a cold sweat, hands shaking, eyes filled with tears. She had trouble breathing, and she couldn't calm down. The darkness of the room was closing in around her, and the only thought racing through her terrified mind was that she had to escape... to run!

Molly was dead to the world, and Nick didn't want to wake her, so she pulled on her old vans and coat, and quietly slipped out of the bedroom. She tip-toed down the stairs and into the kitchen. She was halfway to the backdoor when she heard a voice. 

"Nick? What are you doing? It's like 1 in the mor-" Jeremy's voice cut off as he sucked in a breath. "Woah... okay hang on. What's going on?"

Nick froze and looked at Jeremy, tears streaming down her face.

"I-I'm fine. I just wanted to go get some air..." her voice stopped as a sob came up her throat. 

Jeremey, who had been eating a bowl of cereal (yes at 1 am), put down his spoon and walked over to Nick."H-hey it's okay. Come here." He softly said, taking Nick into his arms. She sobbed into his shirt, shaking as he held her tightly. 

A few minutes passed with them like this before Nick, after having calmed down, looked up at him and gave a weak laugh. "I think I ruined your shirt," she muttered, wiping her eyes.

"It's alright. I don't really like this shirt anyway. Mom got it for dad at a farmers market, except he didn't like it so it got re-gifted to me. I only sleep in it really," he said, trying to keep the conversation light-hearted, but slightly failing. 

Nick gave him a weak smile and sank down into a chair, hiding her face in her still shaking hands. 

"Nick... do you wanna talk about it?" Jeremey asked softly.

She was quiet.

She swiped at her eyes, she didn't know why she felt like this? She thought she got over everything. She was fine. fine. fine. fine. fineeeee

"I-I just wanna go outside.." she stood up and rushed to the backdoor, Jeremy racing after her.

                                                                            ***

Hey, double update today!! This is rare lol.

Hope y'all are enjoying it! Yes, I have an angsty chapter coming up don't hate on me lol. 

Also if anyone likes the videogame Oxenfree I just finished my fanfic for that!!

Take care of yourselves/others :))