Chapter 5 - With Love To Give That Leaves You Breathless

"Care to explain what's going on?" the voice I hated so much blurted out in much disgust. This was my ex boyfriend Adam. He was everything I despised and more. After all this time, he still thought he could control me. Sure, he intimidated me.... a lot. But I knew that deep down inside, he was terrified of me because he knew that if he laid one finger on me, or put one foot out of line, I could open my mouth and tell the world just who he really was.

"Adam" I sighed, pressing my forehead impatiently as I tried to release some of the pressure I felt, "It's been a year and a half... You have no right to know what's going on" I muttered trying to drain all my frustration as my eyes hovered over his devious face. Sure...Adam was good looking, with his dark brown eyes and his perfectly styled black hair, but Ben... In my eyes, Ben was so much more.

Reluctantly, I pushed my cold hands into the pockets of my hoodie as I began to walk away, sending an apologetic glance over to Ben who was completely oblivious to everything that was happening.

"So you're not even going to introduce me?" Adam caught up to us, bringing himself as the focal point of attention just the way it always had to be.

I couldn't help but roll my eyes, "No I'm not, you guessed right" I mumbled, stepping around him, hoping that he'd just give up.

"Wow, what a jerk" Ben spat with a touch of irritation to his voice as he peaked back to Adam who had for once, gotten the message and decided to leave me alone. I don't know what it was with Adam but he never seemed to be able to talk no for an answer.

For that last few moments, the memories and the hurt flooded my head, "I know right" I murmured in a quiet voice, as I bit my lip to wash the tears away that fiercely pricked my eyes as the bitter wind left it's frozen bite on my hands.

"He seems really obsessive" he pointed out, giving me a sympathetic look that cheered me up slightly.

"He was" I admitted, keeping my eyes to the uneven pavements that we walked along, "he used to stalk me and just freak me out... He became so obsessive that if he caught me with another guy.... He'd beat me up" I sniffled, trying to hold back more tearing that were so enthusiastic about spilling over my pale cheeks, "When I'd get home, my mum would question why I was always covered in bruises... The whole situation just messed with my mind." I explained as Ben pulled me into a warm hug that made me feel so safe and secure.  I inhaled Ben's daring scent as his arms tightened around my waist, giving me enough time to bury my head in the crook of his neck.

He held me closely, whispering to me in his calm sweet accent, "I promise, no one will ever treat you that way again". Hesitantly, he released me, looking into my eyes, "Did you ever tell anyone?" he asked out of the blue, as he twirled a piece of my bright red hair around his finger which calmed me down so much.

I shook my head in disgust with myself, "Nope, you're the first person I've told... It killed me having to lie about it" I answered honestly, watching his face drop.

He pulled away from me completely, "So you mean he got away with everything?" Ben questioned in astonishment, becoming slightly short tempered, as he rejected any eye contact with me, looking off into the distance.

"Ben.... I was scared" I blurted, trying to convince him that I wasn't guilty as I was overly eager to look into his big blue eyes.

"I can understand" he assured, bringing his eyes away from the sky to look at me again, "but what I don't understand is that you'd be okay for this to happen to some other girl... How selfish!" he grimaced, bringing the tears to form in my eyes again.

"No! I'd never wish that on anyone" I shook my head in denial but no matter how much I denied it, it was still the truth. I had gone through it and hated every second. It made me a paranoid wreck. Every shadow I saw emerge behind me when I walked home alone at night. Every movement someone made, caused me to flinch. And it was all because of Adam.