reflection;; short story

I've always admired other girls. They were prettier than me. Happier than me. I used to look in the mirror and think, if only I were them. Maybe my life would be different. When I would ask people if I were ugly, they would always say, "Of course not! You're beautiful!" When I would tell them about how my face is too fat, my lips are too small and how my forehead is giant, they would smile and laugh. "The mirror is deceiving you, silly!" I never gave it much thought and told myself they were only saying that so I don't feel so bad. I mean the mirror just shows what I look like right?! When I move, my reflection moves. And when it moves, I move. Simple as that.

As I head home from another terribly boring school day, I decide to go to the bathroom. I sit on the counter and think, if only I were them. This is a daily for me. I sit in the mirror in my own sorrow hoping that one day I'll look and see someone I can call beautiful. This day in particular, something strange happened. Right as I was about to leave the bathroom, I whispered once again, if only I were them. I put my hand on the doorknob to hear a voice whisper back. Don't be like that. You know, I find you charming.

I spin around to see nothing, of course. Must be my imagination. Deciding to sulk in my sadness for a bit longer, I hop back onto the counter. I lean against the mirror and sigh. This is no fun. Realizing this isn't a good use of my time, I quickly hop off the counter again. No. Wait. Did someone say something? I shake my head, knowing it's probably my imagination again. Please. Please don't go. This time the voice is louder. I spin around to see nothing, again. Stupid of me to think someone would actually be there.Though as I begin to leave, something catches my eye.

There's water. Leaking. Out of the base of the mirror. What the? I grab a towel and wipe it up. After it was all cleaned up, I take one last glance in the mirror only to find I'm crying! What the heck?! I'm not crying. I pay my hands over my face to find it bone dry. I'm going mad. I must be. Suddenly, a figure emerges from the darkness of the mirror. They walk over to me slowly.

I spin around as quickly as I can. But to my surprise, no one is there. Back in the mirror, I see the mysterious shadow getting closer and closer. My reflection calls out, "Help me!" as the man gets closer. I scratch at the mirror, starting to panic as the man that I see in my reflection starts to get so close I can feel his breathing down my neck. I cry out, "Someone help!" as my reflection does the same. I cant do anything. Even though I can see it happening, no one is even here. All I can do is watch.

The shadowed figure becomes more clear as the rest of my vision becomes foggy. As dark speckles appear in my eyesight, I start to make out the face of the attacker. As I take my last breath, I see none other than my own face, as my reflection and his hand start to rest on my shoulder. A tear trickles down my face as my vision starts blinking out. If only I were them, I hear the figure say as my vision gives out along with the rest of my body.

word count :: 653 words.

fyi,, this is NOT my personal experience. this is all fiction, only some descriptions of things are things i think about myself. everything else is fiction and completely made up. thank you for reading. ❤️❤️