Chapter 7- Serenity

"...And here it is." Elizabeth announced, after some time of silence. Charlie sucked in a breath; in the clearing in the bushes here was a bench facing the edge of a hill, from which you could see the small town of Hurricane, the city lights shining like diamonds from afar. The sky was a dark orange, with only a sliver of the sun peeking over the horizon.

Charlie gaped. "Wow... It's..."

"Beautiful?"

"Yeah," she whispered, sat down on the bench. Her ankles and the soles of her feet throbbed, but the view made their long journey up here worth it.

Elizabeth smiled. A sincere, genuine smile. "I'm glad you enjoy it. I come up here sometimes alone..."

Charlie studied Elizabeth's face, which was facing the sunset, and smiled as well. There was a look in Elizabeth's eyes, akin to one Elizabeth had in the café. Concentration. Tranquility. Serenity.

Charlie felt her heart flutter just slightly.

"Well, I'm glad you decided to show me this. It's mesmerizing." Elizabeth turned back to face her, and she looked surprised, as if she had forgotten she had been there at all.

"...Yes."

They both watched the sky, watching the hues in the sky change, even just gradually.

"God, it's been so weird without you here." Elizabeth exhaled slowly. "And I didn't even notice until just now..."

"You missed me?" Charlie asked, and Elizabeth, who had just sat down beside her, rolled her eyes.

"No..."

She was lying.

Charlie let out a laugh.

"...What's so funny?"

"Honestly, I don't know-"

Elizabeth's face turned a rosy red. Playfully, she nudged Charlie with her elbow, and Charlie punched her back in the shoulder.

Laughter echoed down the hills and the pathway, until they both grew silent and a space was built between them. Both girls stared at the clear, teal sky, waiting with breaths held for stars to appear.

...

"...How come you don't call me Lizzie anymore?"

Charlie snapped her attention back to her friend, who gazed back at her with an unreadable expression.

"P...Pardon?"

"It's nothing."

Charlie, concerned, reached out to touch Elizabeth's hand, but she moved it unknowingly. She rubbed the spot on her arm where Elizabeth had elbowed her, even though the tenderness had long gone, it was warm, and she felt a constricting feeling in her chest.

Minutes passed, and after the stars decided to show themselves and the moon began to shine down on the two, a chill wind brought both girls back to reality.

"We should go back," Charlie suggested, "It's late..."

"Right." They caught each other's eyes, both expressions stoic, but something behind their eyes revealed they wanted to linger for just a while longer. Shaking the feeling off, Charlie threw her backpack on her shoulder and walked to the clearing.

"Well, shall we go... Princess?"

~~~

They walked until Aunt Jen's car was in sight, both breathing heavily from the walk.

"And this is where I must leave, My lady." Elizabeth said, wearing a playful smile.

"Are you sure you don't need a ride? It's dark out and I-"

"I've walked down these streets after sundown millions of times, this town is harmless." Elizabeth laughed, brushing off the other's concern.

Unsure, but unwilling to push boundaries, Charlie nodded.

"Before I leave, I need your help with something tomorrow;" Charlie said, trying to map out her thoughts.

"Oh? What is it?"

"I need you to help me find someone... or something." She thought about the weird, ethereal message Cassidy gave to her earlier that day.

"Well that's certainly vague," Elizabeth side-eyed her, "Fortunately I'm up to the challenge. You have my number. Call me when you wake up and we can make plans."

With that ending note, Elizabeth smiled and nodded, walking off into the night.

~~~

A/N: Hey guys watch this! *Disappears for another 2 weeks* Yeah, sorry about that.

  And sorry this chapter is so short! In return, the next chapter is really long lmao