Chapter 1: Wakey Wakey, I Have a New Obsession

Mehgan's POV

It was a typical day. July 2020. I woke up at 3 pm, like i always do. We're on summer break during quarantine so i like stay up all night doing whatever i please, which usually ends up with me waking up as the sun goes down. I call my bestie, Nahid. She seems... different today. Not a bad different, she looks so young and full of youth. "Someones in a good mood. What happened?" I ask her, almost sarcastically. 

"I found a new musical obsession!" Nahid said with charisma. Great. Another musical obsession. I love that shes found a sense of joy in musical theater, but lord have mercy, she never shuts up about it. I could tell she was dying to talk about this new found addiction. Before I can even ask her, she bursts "It's called Newsies! Basically, It's about the newsboys strike of 1899 and the boys are so cute and they dance a lot and blah blah blah...". I doze off. I listen to what she's saying but I don't listen to what she's saying. She seems really into it. Wish I had something that made me that happy. I have K-pop. I've loved K-pop since 5th grade. As a young Vietnamese girl, seeing Asian representation in the music industry was eye opening. Plus, their music makes me want to get up and shake my little bum bum. I've found myself in K-pop the same way Nahid found herself in musical theater, except her obsession is more aggressive and... annoying. This Newsies obsession wont last for long... right?

Nahid's POV

Nahid's POV

It was 3 pm, so I knew Mehgan had just woken up. That girl needs to fix her sleeping schedule... like im one to talk. I literally stayed up all night binge watching all the Newsies content I could. A Newsies rabbit hole. When I find a new musical obsession it gets pretty intense, but this is like no other obsession i've had. I was so drawn to it. The cast, the music, the dancing, the energy, the dynamic, the characters, the everything. I feel like I have a new reason to live. I'm not even exaggerating. My mental health has been deteriorating, I needed an anchor to hold me down and stop me from heading to oblivion. Newsies is my anchor. I call Mehgan and tell her everything I know about Newsies. I tell her about Ben Cook and I play some of the music for her. I'm bursting at the seams. It's been such a long time since something made me this happy.

 It's been such a long time since something made me this happy