Chapter 3: Can't Stop, Won't Stop, Get Guac

Mehgan's POV

"BYEEEEE" I say as I hang up the phone with Nahid. It was 11 pm. I smirk as I jump into bed, ready to play Animal Crossing. I don't have a Nintendo Switch so i play Animal Crossing Packet Camp on my phone. I have gotten all my friends into Pocket Camp, but i'm the most attached to it. I just like the feeling of dedicating myself to something for hours. Starting a certain goal and never stopping until I achieve that goal. Something therapeutic about it.

In the middle of my game play, a notification pops on my screen. It's a text from Nahid. 

I skim the text as soon as I receive it and I can spot out the words "NEWSIES". Great. I thought after I hung up, I wouldn't have to hear or see that word ever again tonight. I swipe the notification away and continue playing my game for a couple hours.

It's around 4 a.m. when I finally decide to close the app. I hesitate to turn off my phone. I remember the text Nahid sent. My heart starts pounding as I get the feeling of unfulfillment. I can't end the day knowing I have unfinished business, even if it is just one text. This complex that I have will probably kill me someday. If not me then someone else.... I pick up the phone and read the message.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.*+NAHID+*.

Yesterday 11:23 pm

<<GIRL OMG THERE'S GONNA BE A 

NEWSIES LIVE STREAM NEXT MONTH>>

<<ON PLAYBILL.COM YOOOO IM SO

 EXCITED I ALREADY HAVE A REMINDER 

SET SJHSIUNSJINSHH>>

Read 4:07 a.m.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More nonsense. She seems really happy about it and I don't have the guts to tell her I don't care. I still have to answer her to get rid of this guilt I feel. Plus, she already knows I read the message so now I had to say something.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.*+NAHID+*.

Yesterday 11:23 pm

<<GIRL OMG THERE'S GONNA BE A

NEWSIES LIVE STREAM NEXT MONTH>>

<<ON PLAYBILL.COM YOOOO IM SO

EXCITED I ALREADY HAVE A REMINDER

SET SJHSIUNSJINSHH>>

Today 4:08 am

<<nice 😏>>

Delivered

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was all I could come up with. She was probably expecting a better answer but I can't keep up with all this Newsies slander. It was the only thing I could say. It says 'cool but I don't really care much'. I was real iffy about this whole Newsies thing. It seemed boring enough on it's own, but having someone try to explain it to you... it seemed even more boring. She's never been more happy about something before. You can see a difference in Nahid. It's really helping her out. 

Schools going to start soon. Maybe by then she'll be over it. Hopefully.

 Hopefully