the attic

Around 12 that night I awoke to a loud thud from upstairs I knew for a fact that no one was up and curiosity got the better of me I quietly  snuck down the dark hallway  following the noise to my surprise it led me to the door of the attic that I had previously been kicked out of. I opened the door to find the room empty but the same thud noise as I had heard time and time again coming from the same wooden box as the day before. It seemed to have something inside and whatever it was desperately wanted to come out I walked over and put my hand on the still shaking box as soon as I put my hand on the smooth wood it stopped. everything was quiet and still but as soon as I lifted my hand it continued its mad thrash to get out ‘its ok I won’t hurt you I said soothingly as if I was talking to a cat or dog very surprised to find myself talking to a box. I found a steel crowbar sitting in a nearby toolbox and started to pry the lock off the front. All of a sudden a clawed hand reached out from under the lid and grabbed my arm I screamed in agony as the claws severed my right arm using the steel crowbar that I was still clutching in my left hand I started stabbing and hitting the creature until it finally released my arm, quickly I slammed the lid shut and sat on it, holding it down with my weight. Not knowing what to do I ran out, releasing the savage beast. Running down the cold dark hallway thoughts were running through my head, how did I get myself in this situation? I ran faster upon hearing the sound of claws scratching the floorboards I knew that one look at the creature following me would break me. I ran into the room I was staying in and slammed the door I heard scratching on the door then everything went silent. I considered opening the door to see what it was but felt the pain in my arm and thought better of it, I look down at my arm now bleeding red and puffy with three severe and deep cuts down the side. i slide down the door and stare ahead I keep pinching myself to try wake myself from this nightmare I have found myself trapped in. no one to comfort me when I’m scared or tuck me in at night, no one to laugh with, all these are now just vague memories, desperate prayers disappear into the night air leaking like the tears from my eyes. Sitting waiting wishing for the sound of my Mothers soothing voice one last time.

 When I woke the next morning I thought the events of last night were all a dream and was relieved to wake up. I look down at my arm dry blood covering the wound and realized that it was very much real.