𝐎𝐍𝐄

۵

۵

Italy,
South Chicago, May 2011

Mourning the death of a family member was the worst. The first death I've ever encountered was my mother's, she died when I was around thirteen years old due to a drug overdose. I was the only child that she and my father shared so when she died, I was sent to live with my dad who stayed on the south end of Chicago.

Her death made me realize how important it was to always let the people you love know how much you loved and cared for them consistently, and how much of a difference those small visits or those late-night phone calls made.

But unfortunately, it was too late. Any chance I had of getting that with my mother was taken from me every time she stuck herself with that needle.

Yet here I was again, dealing with another loss. I couldn't get that with my dad anymore either and it hurt. My dad took care of me most of my life aside from my grandmother earnestine who I also spent most of my life with due to my dad's dangerous job.

He was well respected in the streets; O'block specifically, but when it came to his family he kept us and his lifestyle separate. I never knew how active he was in the streets until he died. Everybody gave him his props and showed out for him, which made me smile.

"Italy, you better be up," Granny yelled interrupting my thoughts.

She turned the knob opening my room door, "It's cold out there Ly Ly, you need to put on a jacket. Gone catch pneumonia tryna be cute." She shook her head.

"I don't feel like going today granny."

She came and sat down next to me on the bed, "I know you miss your dad baby, but they need you to clean out his house it's been three weeks baby, it's time now."

"But granny every time I think about going over there, I just get so emotional. I don't think I can do it." I frowned.

"I know baby, but you're his only child and none of his family feels right taking any of his belongings until you get everything that you've wanted."

"The one thing I wanted.. got taken away from me," I mumbled.

"Italy, look at me," Granny said, lifting my chin. "I know you miss your mom and with your dad being gone too, I know you're dealing with a lot but I love you, and I know your folks love you just as much. Think positive baby, and just remember Granny's always here."

"Alright granny, I hear you." I sighed.

"Well good," She patted my thigh, standing up. "Now get going, the movers will be there at about 10:30, it's already 9:15." She said, looking over at the clock in my room.

"You're not coming?" I questioned.

"No baby, I'm helping your other grandmother prepare for her annual Christmas giveaway, they're doing something big this year to honor your dad."