The party

Cherryl’s POV
……… Alarm rings ……..

“What….”
“Who…”
Ugghhhh. Why so early?

I woke up and just wandered in room sleepily and I wandered around the room sleepily.
I checked the time and it was 8 am.
“Of to bed then!”

Wait….School. As if this wasn’t rough my brother barged into my room. I chased him out as fast as he came but he still got the chance to say this

“Are you sure you don’t me to see you change?” He said running out.

I face palmed myself completely disappointed that we came from the same womb.

……………..A little while later………

Can you believe our mum actually took as to school. People were staring at us. Luckily we were late so not many people witnessed that.

As I ran through the halls I bumped into something hard.
Okay, wow! Whoever it is sure works out. As I was lost in my thoughts a hand helped me up and a gentle voice to compliment it followed.

“Are you okay?” The person said

I would recognize the voice anywhere
“Hello, Princess” Joe said smiling
“Yo, hey…” I mumbled

Yo, Hey? Really? Wow, I was really nervous.

He laughs it off and start a conversation which is cut short. Mr Abram suddenly appeared and dismissed us.
As I walked off I couldn’t shake this funny feeling that someone was watching us. And just maybe I was right.

…………..
After answering a few questions in class and the bell rang I was convinced that my sitting partner was either sick or skipped class because he was not in class the whole time. As I prepared to leave I saw someone shuffling to the seat beside me. I was in utter disbelief.

“Hey there” He said confidently.

In my current state the only thing I managed to say was

“You. Are. Late”

He then best out laughing introduced himself and I went straight from being angry to laughing. We even grabbed lunch together with a girl called Kylie. I liked her too but I could sense Daniel liked her more. Like he was in love with her and didn’t know. He knew Joe too. And fortunately he told me what I liked to hear.
That he was single and every other good thing he knew about him since childhood.

Kylie then invited me to a beach party which apparently she did to celebrate me. Like to introduce me to the school.

I played ball with her and Miriam for sometime. I really enjoyed myself. But I fell and my foot really hurt

“I am so sorry” She said
“Since you didn’t know how to play. I should have taken it easy on you.” Kylie continued

Daniel then stepped in. We were soon laughing. I then left and then bumped into Joe. He looked at me like I was the prettiest thing on earth and then within a split of a second he gained his composure back.
We had a few drinks.
We spoke for a while and then I said
“Would you like to go for a race?”
“Yes, I would. Just take note if you win it means I let you” He said
“Let’s get in” I said

Then he chuckled and he left

In case you didn’t know I am a great swimmer so I won. I mean he was pretty good but I still won.
“How long have you been swimming for?” He asked
“For about 20 years”
“Haha. Please tell me the correct number of years.”
“Okay mister, it’s been about 8 years.” I said
“You?”

“I have been swimming for about 9 years.”
“That’s cool.”
We talked a bit more about his family and mine. He is an only child. I felt he was lucky. He didn’t see it as lucky though.
“It’s not been easy.”
“Everything rests on me. I have been managing and learning many things about the company since I was 8 years old. I sometimes want a simple life. A vacation, a break but I go to school and work partly when school is in session. And on vacation I work the whole time. ”

“I am sorry there’s so much pressure on you” I said

“Don’t get  me wrong I am happy to help my dad and all. It’s just”
“I understand don’t worry” I said
I then changed the topic.

…………

“I need a drink, I will be back.” He said
And with that he left

I guess he needed to talk to some of his friends. And the topic we spoke about earlier clearly worked him out.

I enjoyed swimming so I just continued to do so. After some time. I couldn’t breathe. I felt dizzy.
I felt my body fighting for every last bit of air. Cold water filled my lungs. My breathes got shorter and shorter and when I finally realized what was happening it was too late. Darkness took over.

Joe’s POV
I hadn’t heard from Cherryl in a while and I was began to worry. I thought she had mingled with people having a conversation or perhaps playing a game. But as I searched for her through the party. There was no sign of her.

I quickly ran back to the water to check if she was okay and then…..

I quickly jumped into the water.
She was unconscious. I carried her and swam back to shore.
My heart stopped when I checked and her heartbeat was gone. I tried to resuscitate her but it wasn’t working, I almost burst into tears but if I wanted to save her now was not the time do so. So I started to speak to her.
“Cherryl, I really like you. Please wake up”

Will this work? I wandered to myself. Well I had to try something.
And then I tried to resuscitate her one more time and she finally woke up. Coughing up water all over me. Of course I really didn’t mind I heaved a huge sigh of relief that she was alive

“Hey Joe” she said weakly trying to smile
But then suddenly looked like she was about to pass out so I picked her up and carried her towards the car. I took her straight to the hospital so she could be looked at.

…………..
When she was cleared I took her home.
The way she clung to my chest made me feel so protective of her. And I realized I would go to any lengths to protect her.

“Joe put me down” She said waking up
“You were much quieter in your sleep." I said
And she giggled
I had called Daniel, Maddie and Kylie at the hospital when it happened. So by the time we got home her parents knew.

I took her upstairs to her room which her brother led me to. I set her on the bed woke her up and her brother brought her some food which I ensured she ate, gave her medications and put her to bed.

Not wanting to invade her privacy I slept on the couch getting up intermittently to check on her rising fever.

After a while she was fine so I headed home to complete an assignment I was expected to turn in the following morning so I left at dawn.

Who do you think wanted to drown her?

What are you opinions so far? Please leave comment.
Thanks for reading!