[Chapter 1]

(2 years ago)

"Well there you have it! The second phase will be......cooking!"

"Wait, what? Cooking?"

"What do you mean we're cooking?! We came here for the Hunter Exam!" Someone bellowed angrily.

"That's right! The second phase of the Exam will be preparing a meal that'll satisfy our palettes."

"Why'd we have to cook?"

"Don't you know? It's simple, really. Because we're Gourmet Hunters!"

Many applicants started to guffaw.

"Talk about a letdown!"

"You hear that?! They're Gourmet Hunters!"

Menchi's eyes narrowed in irritation.

"So, you're both Gourmet Hunters. And what exactly do you want us to make?" Someone challenged.

"Hn. Buhara."

"Today's required ingredient will be pork!"

"Pork? You mean like, pig meat?!"

"Feel free to you meat from any species of pig in Visca Forest!"

The girl's eyes widened.

"As you see, you'll be using these cooking facilities to prep your pork dishes. To pass the second phase of the Exam, you must create a dish that'll satisfy our discriminating palettes!"

"But we won't be evaluating taste alone. So take this seriously. Is that clear? When we've both eaten our fill, this phase of the Exam will be over."

"Okay, enough talk. Let's get to it, alright?"

"Then let the Exam's second phase begin!"

As the participants begin to rush out of the exam area, the girl sighed.

•~×~•

"Hm, the taste of the dish is slightly sweet with a hint of spiciness. Your combination of different types of meat is quite unique. Still..." Menchi twirled her fork.

The brunette fiddled with her fingers. She had absolutely no knowledge on cooking, especially when it came to high standards. Taking out a Great Stamp was easy, but this was nerve-wracking.

"Still, I feel that your presentation is of inferior quality and please, how is your meat overcooked? And that, is how you fail. Try again, sweetie. Next!" Menchi ordered.

"I-i failed?"

"Yes, now get going!"

"O-ok."

•~×~•

"

Alright! I've been waiting for something like this!" A boy wearing green yelled excitedly, jumping down into the ravine along with an albino-haired boy, a man with a swollen cheek and a blond wearing a blue and yellow robe.

Some participants who watched the four jump down, followed suit and leaped into the ravine, although most others were still shook by the revelation of jumping down. They took many steps back, and when I say many, they were quite close to the airship already.

A brunette, with deep green eyes stared down and sighed. It's now or never, she thought.

Chiyō-san, I'll make you proud, okay? I swear I will!

Bravely somersaulting down, she stretched out both of her hands, catching one sticky strand of web. Right next to her, approximately one and a half metres away, was the boy wearing green, the one who made the first move.

Someone, few grids in front, already had jumped into the ravine and grabbed an egg, disappearing into the fog below. Instinctively, the brunette knew, that idiot was never making it out alive.

"What are we waiting for?" The man with the swollen cheek questioned his comrades.

"Hold on, don't let go yet." The boy in green interjected.

"Huh? What's wrong?"

"No wind."

"The updrafts don't happen every time." The white-haired boy explained.

"Then when do you think the next one will come along?" The man asked.

"Any minute now." The green covered boy replied confidently.

All eyes were on him now, including one pair of emerald eyes.

Suddenly there was a horrible snapping sound.

"Holy crap! What the-"

"It appears that this web isn't strong enough to support all this weight." The blonde commented.

Upon hearing this, many started to panic. The tension got thicker and more dense. In a state of anxiety, a handful of people jumped off. Jumped off to their deaths, the girl thought darkly. Welp, they're never making it out alive.

"Gon, can we go yet?" The albino beside Gon asked. No reply.

The wretched noises grew slightly louder.

Internally, the girl started to panic.

"It's about to snap!"

Just then...

"Ok, now!" The green boy beside her yelled.

The girl let go, along with so many others. The smell of nature filled her nostrils as she fell. Spreading her limbs out like a star, she snatched an egg. The light from above slowly started to fade as she dove deeper into the ravine, sighing when she drank in the dank, damp air.

Suddenly, a whoosh of air came from below, pushing her upwards. As soon as the cliff edge was in sight, she shifted herself to reach it. Anchoring herself with the sole of her feet, she hoisted herself up in one swift motion, landing on both feet.

"Now, all that's left to do is to cook it!" She smiled proudly.

•~×~•

Taking a mouthful into the pearly white egg, the girl chewed it slowly and her eyes lit up. "Wow!"

"Hey, Mr Todo. This egg's really good! Do you wanna try it?" 'Green Boy' asked.

The round man nodded. Tentatively, he took a bite of the egg and exclaimed, "It's delicious!"

"The joy of discovering something delicious. And that is what we risk our lives for." Menchi explained

"I lost fair and square. Next year, I'll be back." Mr Todo promised.

'Green Boy' smiled and nodded.

Standing up and dusting herself off, the girl walked up to him, who was currently talking to his three other companions.

"Hey," She started, "What are your names? My name's Sayuri Suiyaku. Nice to meet you."

"Oh! My name's Gon, and these are my friends Killua, Leorio and Kurapika!"

"It's nice to meet you all!"

"Can we be friends? You seem really nice!"

"Sure! Why not?"

•~×~•