Part I: The Beginning

I want us to fall
in love like drops of rain,
not these small passing showers.
I need wind.
I need lightning.
I need trees blown off their roots.

I want us to fall
into each other.
Into the hollowness of
our souls.

We are all a little empty inside.
All I want is you.

You fill me
even if it is only
for a little
while.

-- RM Drake

September
Age 7

Harry Styles is seven years old when the rules of a new television series are explained to him. He's sat nervously on a barstool, green eyes wide, hair combed into a mushroom cut, looking around the room at the camera workers. His mum is stood off to the side, chatting with some of the production crew, looking over at Harry every so often, giving him a reassuring wink whenever they make eye contact.

A blonde woman who appears to be in her late 20's crouches down to meet Harry's eyes. She has a warm smile and when she cups his shoulder in her hand, he immediately relaxes.

"Congratulations, Harry!" she exclaims cheerfully. "You've been chosen to be a part of The Up Series, along with some of your other classmates. Today, we're going to ask you a few simple questions while that man records you talking," she says, pointing to a tall man with a dark moustache. "And then, when you turn 14, we're going to ask you the very same questions, and then again when you're 21, so on and so forth."

"Wow, 14? That's a long time from now," Harry says, furrowing his brows.

The woman chuckles. "It is, indeed. And we're going to keep up with this process, every seven years."

"And you're going to ask me the same questions every time?"

"Indeed, we are."

"Is there a wrong answer?"

She smiles. "Absolutely not. We want to hear Harry's thoughts, which will be different from anyone else's thoughts that we may interview."

Harry thinks about that for a moment, and pokes his tongue through the hole where his bottom front tooth is missing. "But won't my answers be the same every time we talk? I'm still me, even seven years from now."

The woman squeezes his shoulder gently. "That's the beauty of this documentary, Harry. Your mind is going to grow and change every time we talk, which means your answers will grow and change, as well. It'll be very interesting, I promise you."

Harry frowns. "Will I come back to this classroom every time you ask me these questions?"

She laughs and looks over her shoulder. "Anne, your son is full of questions. Who knew such a young boy would have to much to wonder about?"

He smiles. "And seven years from now, I'll have even more to wonder about."

She nearly snorts at that one, leaning down to meet his gaze once more. "You're a bit fresh, aren't you?" Harry smirks. "But no, Harry, we won't make you come to this classroom every time we interview you. One day, when you're grown, you might not live here in England anymore. You might be in another part of the country, or in Australia, or the United States. We'll find you, and come to you."

He shakes his head violently. "I'm never leaving my mum."

Anne smiles from across the room. "Now, I hope that was recorded!"
—————

They take another few minutes to get the camera equipment fully set up, explaining to Harry what the bright lights were used for, and why they were hooking a microphone up to his shirt. Once he was settled comfortably on his chair, the blonde woman claps encouragingly, and says, "Okay, Harry, whenever you're ready!"