Chapter 4

The bell rings. Finally, lunch! I'm super hungry.
I start walking to my locker, while looking at the map of the school. I circled the classes I'm taking this quarter. Hopefully I will remember where I'm going.
I keep trying to figure out a shortcut for French, when I suddenly run into a person. I look up to see a boy with dark brown eyes and tousled brown hair. Why do I keep running into people?
"Oh my god! I'm so sorry," I say, feeling the heat rush to my cheeks.
"No, it's ok. See you around," He says nonchalantly. He walks past me and I process of what happened. He was... Handsome. But I doubt he'll like me. We probably don't have a class with each other. I shake my head and keep walking.
I get to my locker and out away my books and get my books for the end of the day. I shut my locker and start walking to the cafeteria.
I reach the cafeteria and look for a table to sit. I look around and I find Ellie sitting with two other girls. Ellie sees me and waves her hand and gestures me to come and sit. I look around awkwardly and walk over there. I sit down and Ellie starts introducing me.
"Avery, this is Hillary," pointing to a girl with long light brown hair.
"And this is Jaelyn," pointing to a girl with short dark blonde hair. I see a glint on her nose. A nose piercing.
"Hi," I say shyly. I look down then up to see that the lunch supervisors have started calling rows. I set my stuff aside and wait for our row to be called.
"So where are you from?" Jaelyn asks.
"I came from Rhode Island. My dad was offered a job here, so we moved."
"Oh I see. So how's your first day so far?"
"Um... I would say good, but it's uneventful so far."
"See any cute boys so far?"
"Why so many questions?"
"Just a curious teen, that's all." She smirks.
I hear our row being called, and we get up to get our lunch. I get my lunch and sit back down at the table.
"So... Have you seen any cute boys?" Hillary pipes in.
"Sure, I guess. He was cute. I ran into him when I was walking to my locker. But it's doesn't matter anyways," I say, looking down at my food.
"What did he look like?" Ellie says excitedly.
"Um... Brown hair, and has dark brown eyes, not to mention that I managed to look at them for a second."
"Do you think she's talking about Micah?" Jaelyn asks Ellie. Micah? That is a cute name for a cute boy... What? Ok, I need to stop thinking about him. He might not be the same person.
"I suppose... I don't know. But she could be talking about someone else." Ellie says.
"Well if he's not the person I'm talking about, then is he just a ordinary boy that's going to this high school?" I ask.
"I guess, but there's a chance that you will have a class with hi-" Ellie gets cut off by Jaelyn.
"Do you really think she'll have a class with him? There is over 900 students in this school. It's like 30 out of 70 chance that's she will have a class with him." Jaelyn turns to her food and starts eating. I start eating as well, while Ellie sits there, deep in thought I guess.
I finish my food within 10 minutes and get up to throw my food away. I sit back down to see Jaelyn and Ellie arguing about how I probably wouldn't have a class with him, and Hillary just reading a book.
"Guys! Does it really matter right now? He's just a boy." I say loudly, and they turn towards me.
"Just a boy? Micah is the cutest boy in this school. You think he's just a boy?" Jaelyn looks at me like I'm crazy.
"Jaelyn, you don't need to act like he's the ONLY cute boy in this school. God, you may be acting like he's the cutest boy in the world!" Ellie replies. I stifle a laugh as Jaelyn glares at her.
The bell rings, and we grab our stuff and go to 5th period. I find the classroom, and I sit in an empty desk in the second row. When I get my books, I see the boy I ran into before lunch walk in. If that is Micah, then I'll probably flip out in the inside. The teachers do call attendance when the bell rings, so I'll have to figure it out.
He looks for a seat, and spots me. The corners of his mouth move upward, and he comes to sit by me. I think he took the last seat in the second row.
"Hey, you're that girl that ran into me, or I ran into you." He chuckles, and I look at him.
"Yep, I'm that girl." I blush. Now that I'm looking more closely, I can see a small scar just below his lip.
"I never got your name. My name is Micah." Of course his name is Micah! Great, now I have to tell Jaelyn.
"My name is Avery. I'm new here."
"Avery," he repeats my name, as if he's trying it out. "I like that."
"Micah," I mimic him." I like that."
He chuckles and turns toward the board. I look at him once more before looking away. Honestly, I have to say, he is really cute. I would definitely date him, but he wouldn't date me for a fact. Would he? I hope so. Now I sound desperate.
The bell rings, and class starts.
~~~~~~
The bell rings, signaling that the day is over. Towards the end of 5th period, Micah asked for my phone number. I wasn't sure about it, but I gave it to him anyways. He gave me his, just in case I wouldn't be thinking that a random stranger was texting me.
I go to my locker and grab the textbooks I need for my homework. I stuff them in my backpack, and walk to the bus that I'm supposed to ride to go home.
I walk onto the bus and see that Ellie has already beat me to it. I sit next to her.
I speak up. " So, turns out that I do have a class with Micah." Ellie smiles real big, then frowns.
"Well, now I have to pay five dollars to Jaelyn." Ellie sighs, and I give her a confused look.
"You guys bet on that?" She nods and I laugh. I can't believe that they actually bet on that! I hope Hillary wasn't involved.
"I also have to pay Hillary." She lets out a frustrated groan. Never mind.
The bus starts and drops off teenagers. Ellie goes off before me, so I have to sit alone for like five minutes.
As Ellie is being dropped off, I hear my phone ding in my backpack. Out of instinct, I take my hands and try to block out the noise. It stops and I take it out. I got a text from a random number. Must be Micah.
M- Hey! This is Micah.
A- Hey! This is Avery.
M- Just can't seem to stop mocking me, huh?
A- Yep!
M- I was wondering if you would want to hang out later? Around 4:30ish?
A- Um... I would have to ask my parents, so I'm not sure. I would love to though!
M- Well, if you can, I'll pick you up around 5 minutes before. Just text me if you can.
A- Ok. See you later!
M- See ya.
I look up to see myself smiling. Wait, this is a boy a just met. He can't just be possibly ask me to hang out when I just met him.
The bus comes to my stop, and I get off.