Chapter 2

As the sun climbed up the blinds of the magnificent White House, Irene eyed the lady in the mirrors. Her lips twiddled each other as she searched for the lightest possible lipstick. Her pick of eyeliners was almost impossible to see, her pick of essence was as airy as a drop of water. And yet, her seductiveness wasn't to be found in the bloody bold lipsticks and makeups, but it is the dynamics and dignity that bewitched her surroundings and her affection and empathy of ills in the world that charmed all beholders.

She knew she was to be Mrs. Kennedy when the sun rose, to be the First lady when the cameras were up, to be Irene in the evening, and, of course, to be Elaine when Jack comes home.

She was to find who she was in a midst of all that.

She has thought about it for a long time, ever since Jack ran for office, or perhaps ever since she married him. The conclusion she reached was that she was to be a Mrs. Kennedy like no other, an Irene like no other, an Elaine like no other, and a First Lady of the United States like no one before.

"Elaine?" Jack tried, although he knew she doesn't allow that to be called in the morning.

"Decency, Mr. Kennedy, decency. It is for eight. I am sure you are meeting with the cabinet, sir, at presumably ten. And you- "

"Irene is not to jabber now. You have a meeting also."

"Yes, sir, with the White House staff."

"And presumably Mrs. Kennedy was to know what to say?" he teased.

"Oh, of course. I was to play glamorous, elegant and loving and all of the sort you named in the campaign," she said with one hundred percent contempt on politics.

"What you have said is absolute nonsense. What I said was you be you."

A pause.

"You are glamorous, elegant and loving and whatever we want in our first lady." again, his Bostonian accent worked perfectly.

It was needless for Irene to say anything. For when he saw her blush, everything was to be understood without a word.

"Good day Mr. President," she mumbled as she dusted some dirt off Jack's collar, pined a light peck on his nose tip. And, with a slight wink, she went out of the room.

If Jack was surprised, he did not show.

As he hovered his fingers on top of the touch, he understood, that it was just a "Good day Mr. President." and her refusal to call him Jack has stirred up ripples in his mind, even though he understands her ideals.

He took a long drag of the Cuban cigar and mused that if Irene did imply for him to strive to be a better president, he defiantly will.

***

"Mrs. Kennedy, please meet Tiffany, she will be your personal assistant." Mrs. Shaw, the assistant-at-large smiled kindly as she introduced Irene to the staff.

"Good morning Tiffany."

"Hi, Mrs. Kennedy."

As seen by her clumsy words and shy handshake, she was a straight forward girl. Irene liked her very much.

"Mrs. Kennedy, this is Mr. Fletcher, he and three others will be your security guard. He's been working through the previous two administrations for the first ladies and generally, the presidents approved his job."

"Hopefully Jack will do too. It's nice to see you." Irene laughed.

"Thank you, Mrs. Kennedy."

The man was quite polite and nimble of his words and actions, cautious of the surroundings. Irene was hopeful.

Like that, Irene walked down the hall, shook each correspondents' hands, and greeted them with a wholehearted smile.

"And finally, this is Stacy Miller, she will also be your assistant." this time, Mrs. Shaw's voice was dry and barely audible.

"Good morning Stacy."

"Ah, good morning Mrs. Kennedy, how are you doing!"

As could be seen from her nimble actions and the affectation in her overly exaggerating welcome, she is not an easy person.

"I am very delighted to see all of you and will be profoundly glad to work with you all in the not so distant future. "