Chapter 12:

"Baby? Honey, please open your eyes." The voice sounded like it was coming from a mile away. I felt like I was floating in a dark space. I could hear so many noises, yet it was silent. 

"Please. Please!" 

Wait.

It was Kayce.

I peeled my eyes open. The wall above me seemed really low. Everything felt like it was shaking. I looked to the side. Kayce had a hold of my hand and had his eyes covered with the other.

"K- Kayce?" I struggled to squeak out. Kayce dropped his hand and looked relieved.

"Oh my god, Linds, you had me so worried." He whispered. He held my hand with both of his. My brain was starting to clear up.

"What happened? Where are we?" I tried to sit up but Kayce lightly pushed me back down.

"Hang on, you're alright. You're in an ambulance headed to the hospital." 

"Wait, why? I feel fine. Where's Turner?" I started to feel panicked and claustrophobic.

"You're on a hell of a lot of pain meds. You got shot, baby." He said quietly. I looked down. There was a load of bandages around my left leg. Panic overwhelmed me.

"Oh my god, Kayce! Am I gonna die? Oh my god, I'm gonna lose my leg!" I started to scream and breathe quickly. A machine behind me started to beep rapidly. Kayce squeezed my hand harder and put his hand on my cheek.

"No, no, you're not going to die, baby. Your leg is going to be fine. The EMT doesn't think it hit any arteries. You'll be alright." He spoke calmly. "Take a deep breathe." 

I took deep, shaky breaths until the feeling of fear died down. 

"Hey, there you go. See, you're going to be fine." He forced a smile. Boy, I sure hope he wasn't lying just to make me feel better. But I really felt no pain at all. 

"Did you guys get Turner?" I whispered. He took a deep breathe.

"We can talk about that later." He replied and kissed my forehead.

"Wait, no, I want-"

"We're arriving at the hospital now. Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to back up and let the doctors help her." The EMT interrupted me and started getting the stretcher ready to move.

"No, no, I'm not leaving her." Kayce argued.

"Sir, I can't-"

"Please!" He yelled. I tried to tell him to calm down, but I couldn't muster the strength. It probably wouldn't do much anyways. The lady paused and shook her head.

"Alright, you can stay with her until she goes into surgery. But you have to stand back." She said. He nodded and sat back out of the way.

We came to a sudden stop. The back doors flew open. A doctor and two nurses came stood outside the door. My stretcher slid forward and bumped out into the sunlight. People started talking rapidly in medical terms I didn't understand. I looked around to find Kayce. 

"I'm back here, babe." He said from behind my head. I nodded. I closed my eyes to try and keep calm. We kept on rolling for another minute before we stopped in a room.

"Mrs. Dutton? You need an emergency surgery to help stop the bleeding or any potential blood clots in your leg." I nodded. I felt the overwhelming fear spread throughout my body again. The feeling didn't last long though. Everything went dark.

-

I slowly regained consciousness. I forgot for a moment where I was and what had happened, but I quickly remembered. I killed me not knowing where Turner was.