Chapter 2

Recap:

"We'll be back in no time, watch us destroy those foul things," I say back with a smile. "We'll be back," Ru says curtly, giving a small smile.

"Let's d-do it quickly okay, n-no joking around there Mira, please b-be careful," adds Jace. It's gonna be alright Jace, don't worry.

Penny smiles back and bids us good luck and we head out the top hatch to face off these monsters.

**********

Mira's POV

September 15, 2278

3:44 pm

We head out of our vehicle and Penny opens the top hatch for us through the computer.

"You ready boys?" I ask both Ru and Jace. Ru just nods while Jace says "Y-yeah..."

I don't get why Jace is always so nervous, we've done countless missions together and no matter how hard it was, we always came back alive. Some of his worries should have dissolved by now. We exit the vehicle and stealthily make our way through the terrain. The trees in the distance are extremely healthy and tall, untouched by humans making nature thrive outside the walls.

"Loosen up, Jace. You're too tense" Ru tells through radio to Jace while I say, "You won't be in top shape to fight if you're always too nervous. Loosen up a little, we have your back and Penny's with us too, don't you trust us?"

"I-it's just that so many t-things can go wrong if w-we're not careful," Jace replies.

"That's why we have Penny don't we?" I say to him. "Yeah, you're right, thanks, it helps... a little...." he replies.

"Don't doubt my abilities, Jace! I've done this so many times, when have I failed you?" Penny says from inside the vehicle. Calming Jace a little.

"Let's do this quickly so that we get back before it gets dark." Ru reminds us. We're getting farther from Penny and the vehicle, making me a bit anxious. I want to end this as fast as possible, I don't like the idea of leaving anyone alone even if they are protected by the vehicle.

"You have 30 minutes at most, we need need to get back quickly so we don't run into more trouble, it's a hassle to deal with more than what we already have been given," Penny informs us.

"Aye aye, captain" I reply teasingly.

"Focus, Mira," Penny scolds me, " You're almost there, keep your voices low so you don't get swarmed."

We stopped talking after Penny's warning and hasten our movements, wanting to go home earlier. The faster we complete this mission, the better. "You're there, stop. See that space where the trees stopped growing? They've most likely settled there for a while," Penny informs us, "You have to deal with about 8 each, remember to be careful, they may be brainless, but they sure aren't weak. Don't get too confident, I'm talking to you, Mira."

"I'll be careful, don't worry," I reply in a whisper. "Mira, take care of the one's north, Jace takes the one's in the south, and Ru takes the one's in the east." Penny tells us."

We take a peek from behind the trees and quietly position ourselves for a fight. And we jump into action.

~After taking care of the formicas~

Same day

4:26 pm

Things took longer than expected and it's and we have less than an hour and a half to go back, we'll need to ride faster and make more noise than necessary but that's way better than getting stuck in the dark with hungry myonagis. Their senses are much better in the dark and our vision is restricted. It's much better to fight when the sun is still out.

"Good job guys, but you better hurry, we still have to go back inside the walls, the mission isn't over until we get home," Penny tells us.

We move quickly towards the vehicle, eager to go home and complete the mission. Nothing feels better than the rush you get after completing a mission successfully. I glace to my side and see Jace's eyes. Worry and Nervousness evident.

"We'll get home in time, even if it dark, we'll be near the walls so back up won't be a problem," I tell Jace. "Everything's fine," says Ru. After hearing this, Jace's eyes seem to look a bit better and nods in acknowledgment.

We arrive at the vehicle and Penny opens the hatch for us. We head inside, and after killing the formicas, I feel accomplished and satisfied. One small step in reclaiming lost land. We sit comfortably and I notice that Jace's eyes drooping. "Jace, you can take a nap. We'll wake you up if we need anything." I say. "No, n-no, I'm just a little t-tired from earlier..." he replies, but I know better. He probably wasn't able to sleep that much last night, that happens, every time we get a mission that sends s pretty far then we're comfortable with. "Jace, take a nap, you need to rest," Penny says to him. "Everyone here already knows you didn't get much sleep last night," says Ru.

"Then, I-i'll take a nap, wake me up if anything weird happens outside okay?" and Jace takes a nap while we ride. We faster than usual and with Penny's expertise, we were able to avoid colliding with more myonagis. Luckily we were able to get there a few minutes just before dark and we were able to get home safely. We pass by the first and middle city and head into the inner city where we report to HQ. We were dismissed and head home to our shared house. All groups live together under the same roof to tighten their bond and help build their relationship. We all take turns taking a bath and after that, Ru and I prepare a meal for all of us. After eating we head to our own rooms and lights out, we were sleeping comfortably until 12:10 am, alarms start blaring, waking all of us up. Alarmed by this, we immediately get dressed and listen to the radio provided by the HQ and nothing could be possibly worse. Two Dieus, Class One myonagis. We're spotted moving towards the walls.

"This is one of the worst things that can happen..."

"This is bad, really bad..."