Home [LN]

Your stomach turns in knots, you're a mess of mixed emotions as the taxi pulls up outside. Mostly you're just happy that your boyfriend is back in the UK after a solid three weeks of racing, but on the other hand you know that his return means your housesitting has finally come to an end.

The door swings open to reveal Lando's beaming face.

"Hi, Y/N!" He drops his bags and opens his arms for a hug which you launch yourself into. He's steady, he's warm and he's safe. He's home.

"I missed you so much, Lando."

His lips press against the top of your head. "I missed you too."

You pull away from him and pick up a suitcase, dragging it through the doorway. You dump them together at the bottom of the stairs before leading him to the kitchen.

"I made Chinese stir-fry." You hold out a bowl and Lando eyes it suspiciously.

"Do you think I'll like it?" He asks, tentatively giving it a sniff.

"You'll know if you try it. It's okay if not, I bought spring rolls too."

Lando smiles as he spots the packet on the table. "You think of everything."

The stir-fry turns out to be a hit and even the leftovers you put aside for tomorrow get eaten. You sit together at the kitchen table, catching up on everything that's happened in the last three weeks. From Romain's crash in Bahrain, to George's race the week after and then McLaren winning third place in the constructor's championship.

"God, I wish you could've been there," Lando says. His eyes shine as he thinks about that night and you love seeing him in such a good mood. As if two dinners wasn't enough, he stands up and empties the spring rolls onto a plate before putting them in the microwave.

"Was it hard saying goodbye to Carlos?" You ask.

Lando pauses a second before turning back to face you. You didn't mean to lower the mood, you just know it was a day Lando had been dreading. He sighs.

"We didn't really say goodbye. He's going to be in England for a couple more days and we'll do something together before he moves out. It was just weird that it was our last race together and everyone kept talking about it... It kind of felt like the hype was more than the actual event."

You nod. You knew there was something bothering your boyfriend when you saw him on TV and social media but you figured it was just that Carlos was leaving. It makes sense that he was confused by what a huge ceremony it all became. Lando likes to keep things private.

He turns around to retrieve the rolls and you drum your fingers on the table. Now for the part you've been dreading.

"So uh... When do you want me to go home?"

"Hmm... I don't, really," Lando says.

"What?"

"I haven't seen you for three weeks, Y/N, you can at least stay the night. That is, if you want to?"

"You know I do," you say quietly. You pick up a spring roll and spin it between your fingers.

"Did I say something wrong?" Lando asks. You smile weakly but shake your head. He always picks up on your moods.

"It's just my housemate. Lydia." You grimace as you say her name and Lando tilts his head, confused.

"I thought you liked Lydia?"

"I like Lily, but Lydia is her horrible cousin who just moved in two months ago. She's always making noise, playing her music so loud the whole landing actually vibrates. And she's mean, too."