Chapter 1

•1•

Did I want to be in love? The question invaded my thoughts ever so often. My name is Karter. Age twenty-five, dark brown skin, straight hair, and average weight. I am not a hoe. Or player or whatever you might want to call it. I sleep around occasionally for the fun of it. No strings attached. Whoever said women couldn't do the same thing some guys did?

My schedule wasn't packed, but it was organized and included a session a week with a couple of guys who I was seeing. It's never been a problem for them, so it's not a problem for me. We have an understanding.

I've been dating but didn't want to settle down into a committed relationship just yet because my career started taking off. I was young, and life was still new to me. Living in L.A. and working at one of the top marketing firms, I couldn't complain sometimes. Life was nice over here.

It was all good until Mr. Sweet Talker, real name Quincy, moved into the apartment next to mine. He was the only one who beat me to my schedule. His sessions were three times a week, with different girls. I didn't understand how he had time for it, but I didn't judge. He was annoying as fuck, though.

Cynthia, our neighbor, said he was either a male dancer, a personal trainer, or a rapper. I've never heard him on the radio, so...

"Girl stop the car, damn!" my friend Olivia said.

I pulled the car to a sudden halt, and we both jerked forward. Her fries went flying across my dashboard.

"Shit, I didn't see him," I said, jolting forward.

The older man crossed the street in front of my black Mercedes and showed me the middle finger.

"Karter, you made me drop all my fries, chick. What is going on with you?"

I took a deep breath and drove carefully to our destination. We were going to be right on time for my sister's baby shower.

"Sorry. Why do you even have fries, Liv? We're going to a whole baby shower? And that dumbass Mr. Sweet Talker guy's been on my mind."

"Girl, you know Elaina is cheap and don't serve no food. Just finger food, and I ain't with it. And who, that personal fitness/male dancer nigga?"

She started cleaning up the fries that fell all over.

"Yes him. He really thinks he can get any girl he wants and that everyone wants his ass. I certainly don't."

"What does he look like again?"

"Check my Instagram."

Liv pulled up his picture on my IG account, and she immediately bit her lips.

"Lawd. Sis, you sure you don't want him? He's fine as fuck. Where is he from?"

The GPS said we were only five minutes away from my sister's house, which was good. We've been driving for a minute now.

I looked in the rearview mirror in the backseat to see if the gifts were still secured. They sat on that seat like two whole ass bricks.

"Cynthia said he's from Miami."

"Mhm, mhm. He looks like it...I think you should talk to him."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Well, fine, but don't come complaining to me about his flings ever again. You can put a stop to his hoe ways, but you shy."

I turned into Elaina's street.

"I'm not shy. He's just stupid." I gasped.

"Okay, high school drama queen."

We pulled up to my sister's house. It was a cute house in the suburb where she lived with her husband, Julian. My sister was two years older than me, and it made me happy to see that she was getting her fairy tale ending despite our slightly dysfunctional family.

"I got the gifts," Liv said, pulling them from the backseat.

"Thanks, girl."

I combed my fingers through my newly pressed hair and fixed my black long sleeve dress, going over to stand next to Liv. She handed me one of the gift bags to hold.

"I got the Tequila shots for us," Liv said, showing me them in her handbag.

The California sun made them glisten like gold.

"You a true best friend, Liv. What would I do without you?" I said, smiling.

"Girl, nothing." She laughed.

We locked arms and walked into the house after I locked my car. There was light music playing, and everyone was chit-chatting before the event started. We had about five minutes.

Liv and I placed the gifts on the table, then we walked over to my sister and gave her a good hug.

"Oh, Liv's here," my sister said in a weird way when Liv went off to get some finger food.

"What's wrong with Liv?" I asked.

"She still hasn't apologized for that thing."

"Elaina, come on, that was like six years ago in college. Get over it. Be happy it's your baby shower, and you look amazing."

She folded her arms, then she smirked.

"Alright, I will, and thanks, Karter."

I walked back over to stand beside Liv as my sister and her friend got ready to start the party. My sister's friends decorated the place in little mermaid decor, which was super cute.

"I told you she would only have finger food," Liv said.

"How you complaining and your plate packed for two people?" I asked, laughing.

"I'm compensating for the lack thereof."

I cracked up. Only Liv.

"Attention, please, everyone," my sister's said, hitting the side of a glass with a fork.

"Oh shit," someone in the crowd said, holding their ear.

I covered my mouth, laughing quietly.

"Greetings, everyone!" Elaina said. "I just wanted to welcome you to our baby shower."

Julian came in at the back and held her around the waist. He fixed his glasses on his face and smiled. The women and men were going to split up for the party—women downstairs and men upstairs.

"Yes, thank you, everyone, for coming. We really appreciate it. Today we want to celebrate my baby and our baby," he said. "So everyone eat up and have a good time. We have some games and more food that we'll be rolling out."

I clapped with the crowd as the party started. Instinctively, I tiptoed over the crowd to see if one of our parents were here, but it didn't seem that way...Our brother, Lopez, was running late with his girlfriend, but he was coming. Maybe mom and dad were too. I don't know.

"Let's go have some fun!" Liv said over the music dancing.

We were about to walk over to start the games when the front door opened up. Julian came over to say hi to Liv and me; then, he briskly walked over to the entrance.

"The first game is to see who can suck this juice out of the baby bottle first!" my sister's bestie said.

Liv and I grabbed up a bottle as the timer count down to start the game. This was going to be a piece of cake. I know how this game works.

"Five, four, three, two, one!"

I held the bottle high up and sucked on it intensely. Practice made perfect.

"Hey Karter, real quick, I wanted to introduce you to my single friend from college. Quincy Martin," Julian said, walking in front of me.

Mr. Sweet Talker was standing in front of me with his hands in his pocket. He chuckled and did a handsome grin, then scratched his head. The minute I saw him, I choked on the liquid I was sucking down.

I coughed violently as Liv pat my back. Shit.

What is he doing here!?