Prologue

A gray tabby tom sat up, listening to Rootspring's story. His pelt prickled nervously, and his tail was resting over his paws. His ears pricked every now and then.

"Well, what do we do now?" whispered Rootspring, fear glistening in his eyes.

Shadowsight thought for a moment. Lionblaze nearly attacked him after he let Ashfur escape, and he killed Bramblestar, too, after getting manipulated by Ashfur. He got himself into this mess, and he was determined to get out of it.

"I know this sounds mad, but it seems like it's our only option..." mewed Shadowsight.

"Spit it out, then." urged Rootspring.

"Maybe killing myself and turning into a spirit means I can see what's happening." meowed Shadowsight. He knew it was extremely dangerous, but by doing this, he could possibly save the Clans from doom.

Rootspring looked at him in horror, his ears flattened, his gaze boring into his amber eyes.

"You must be mouse-brained to do something like this!" hissed Rootspring.

"Don't you see? It's our only option. I got us into this mess, and I'll get us out of it." insisted Shadowsight, his eyes glittering with exasperation.

"And how will you send us news?" demanded Rootspring.

"You and Tree can see spirits, can't you? You two will be my messengers." mewed Shadowsight simply, waving his fluffy tail dismissively.

"What if we can't? We can't see every spirit!" meowed Rootspring, worried.

"The Sisters can help, can't they?" questioned Shadowsight.

"What if you fade and get tortured by Ashfur, like the other spirits?" murmured Rootspring.

"Maybe when I release StarClan, I can become alive again, like Tigerstar. And I can kill Ashfur's spirit." mewed Shadowsight.

"Tigerstar was a exception." pointed out the tom.

"I'll be doing something very important. Maybe I'll also get to be a exception." meowed Shadowsight.

Rootspring left his den, heading into the pine forest. Shadowsight started digging around the medicine den, searching for deathberries. Where are they? He thought as he shoved his muzzle into a forgotten corner of a shelf.

There! He thought excitedly as he picked up the the deathberries and put them on the ground. He opened his mouth to eat them but fear overcame him. Should I really be doing this? Think, Shadowsight, think! He urged himself.

He swallowed back his worries and
bit into one quickly. He swallowed the poisonous seed immediately and now the only thing Shadowsight could do was wait dreadfully. Darkness began covering his vision and he felt nauseous. He felt hot and he began gasping for air, and began foaming at the mouth. Soon, he fell unconsciousness, his eyes glazed over.