Chapter 1

Shadowsight felt alive and he slowly opened his eyes, not wanting to see where he was. He saw his corpse in his nest, looking like it was asleep. Shadowsight wanted to go to see Rootspring, and suddenly teleported to the SkyClan camp. Thank StarClan I don't have to travel.

He walked over, and saw Rootspring talking to Needleclaw. His eyes were dark. He padded over and stood behind Needleclaw. Willing Rootspring to see him, he turned his eyes to Shadowsight. His eyes widened, and Needleclaw rolled her eyes, walking away to the fresh-kill pile.

"Shadowsight?" whispered Rootspring.

"It's me!" mewed Shadowsight. Thank StarClan!

"Have you got any news?" urged Rootspring.

"Not yet. I'll be travelling to the Dark Forest. See you later." he mewed. But he had a nagging feeling in his gut to not go.

Before he knew it, he was standing in the Dark Forest. Mist so thick that he could hardly breathe, the shadows so dark that he could barely see and the forest so quiet that every breath he took sounded like a yowl.

He swiveled his ears fowar for any sound as he gingerly put one paw in front of another, hoping not to step on a stray pebble or twig.

Suddenly, he could hear cats' crying. He held his breath and his grey ears pricked.

"Help me! Bramblestar, where are you?"

"I'm trapped!"

"You're not going anywhere. You'll be dead before long." sneered a higher-pitched voice.

Squirrelflight, Bramblestar and... Ashfur!

He started running towards the faint yowls. He skidded to a halt as he nearly crashed into a spiky wall of thorns, brambles and thick vines.

Bramblestar's desperate yowls were as clear as day here. Desperately tugging at the wall, he managed to clear away a bit of vine, a hole large enough to look what was happening.

Bramblestar stretched out a foreleg, unsheathing his claws as he attempted to cling onto the soil. Shadowsight crouched down, and saw intense amber eyes boring into his. This is like last time! thought Shadowsight in dismay.

"Something is going wrong, seriously wrong. StarClan can't reach us - Ashfur has blocked the connection!" yowled Bramblestar.

"What am I supposed to do? I'm as helpless as you are." sighed Shadowsight.

"You must do something, you're my only hope. Find Ashfur. Convince him. Manipulate him, twist his words, like he did to you." urged Bramblestar.

Anger seared his pelt. Hostility flared in Shadowsight's eyes as he remembered Ashfur. But he shook his head helplessly. He wasn't as sly, manipulative and clever as Ashfur. His fur prickled with resentment as he remembered when Ashfur tried to murder him.

Suddenly, he felt a wave of determination wash over him. I sacrificed myself for a reason. I must try. Fury seized his mind once more. He can't get away now. Nothing will protect him from my and StarClan's wrath. 

"Help!" yowled Bramblestar, pulling him out of his thoughts. He stretched his foreleg again, unsheathing his claws as he felt for a grip. Almost getting clawed, Shadowsight recoiled.

He heard a screech coming further away.

"Stop. Go find Squirrelflight now, before that fox-heart goes back to the real world. Remember, at this point, he holds the power of the stars in his very paws." pressed Bramblestar.

Shadowsight hesitated, but nodded. Dashing away and using the slimy moss' glow as a guide, the shrieks became nearer and nearer, until he could see a tom and Squirrelflight.

Squinting in the dark mist, he saw Ashfur. His dark blue eyes shone menacingly, full of anger. His fleckled gray tabby pelt was spiked and his striped tail lashed back and forth ominously. Blood trickled from the bites and scratches, and Shadowsight could tell that infection was already starting to set in.

He saw Squirrelflight, but she laid on the slimy floor and her wounds streamed blood. Scarlet splashes and drops dotted the black ground. Her throat was bitten, and her breathing was shallow.

"You betrayed me, Squirrelflight. How could you?" he mewed, hurt flashing in his eyes for a heartbeat, then it changed to fury.

"Isn't that right, Shadowsight?" he meowed suddenly, glancing over his shoulders.

"I-I guess..." Shadowsight stammered, taken aback.

"See? Your 'friend' is now my ally. How depressing. You're losing everything. Even your own 'son' tried attacking his 'father'." He mewed mockingly.

Anger seared his pelt. Barely managing himself to not leap onto Ashfur, he dug his claws into the mud.

"I will never be your ally. Not after you tried to kill me!" he snarled.

Ashfur didn't seem bothered by his comment, in fact, his whiskers twitched with amusement.

"I can't believe they turned you into a medicine cat apprentice again. And how you were only allowed to treat me. I bet they were hoping you were so useless that you ended up killing me." he mocked, his blue eyes gleaming.

Why did Ashfur have to rub it in his face over and over again? Ranting to himself, he took a deep, angry breath and glared at Ashfur.

"What have you done to the others?"