Eight Battle

"Megumin assists my peripheral!" Yuuta exclaimed, striking the entire enemy in front rapidly: shielding each bullet across our way. He is my partner, and we are now at the battle.

Ability: Speed

Weapon: Sword

"Copy!" I replied, taking a pill to boost my apprehension. My skills are scotopic vision and ocular lens. I can shoot straight and simultaneously.

Ability: Dead Shot

Weapon: Gun

"This is our 8th battle; I expect all of you to live!" Fiora commanded. She is our team leader, fighting alone. It was three years ago when she losses her partner. Her ability and weapon were the same as mine. All girls possess similar equipment and power. Hence, boys enchant the same as Yuuta.

Our mission is to protect the nation, kill our enemy, and retrieve our land. That is our Deity's commandment. What they tell us to believe, have faith that we are protecting the nation from intruders, trained to fight and die if necessary.

Kids were born with a particular pair distinct to adjunct each of our skills that are lacking. Partners are selected by faith and destined to protect one another 'til death: a bloke is upskilled for close battle assisting as the defender to counterblow intruder's bullet, while colleens entrust for long-ranges, aid to attack. If colleens die during the combat, their life correlates with their partner, and soon dies together. But life is cruel when a bloke dies beyond incursion; her partner may live to suffer until the day of her adolescence─ fighting alone as Fiora does.

"Shoot now, Megumin!" Yuuta shouted. I promptly attitudinize myself to shoot. I manage to kill our enemy, but one bullet passes Yuuta that wounded my shoulder.

"Ack!" I exclaimed in pain. Yuuta directly runs my way, defending me while loading the gun.

"I'm sorry! I did not see that coming."

"It's fine. Concentrate on the mission. Don't worry! I won't die!"

"Stop! Not my child!" The intruder shouted, reaching another intruder. It took off its mask.

Are they people?

What word is a Child?

"What are you doing Megumin? Shoot now!" – Yuuta

"I don't want to die Mamaaaa!!!!" –Intruder

What is Mama? What are those words?

"Stay still, Yuuta! I'll shoot!" -Fiora.

"But it's forbidden." -Yuuta.

"I can handle the pain." -Fiora.

Fiora ordered to replace my position. As soon as she shoots, one of the intruder's body generates yellow light, protecting them from each bullet.

"A yellow light, it was like...." Roku cut off his words as soon as Fiora changes her posture. She is doing it. Colleens who have lost their partners may acquire an unusual ability to hunt: a skill to capture the strength of the enemies. It is ironic to obtain such possession after the death of another.

The light began to fade as quickly as Ni San shoot them kill. That light was comparable with Zone Zero's stamina. The intruders, they are people. Why are we killing them? I aspire to understand.

What is Mama?

What is a child?

Who are we?