CHAPTER TWO

"We missed you yesterday?" Remus said as soon as I sat down in the seat at the Gryffindor table for breakfast.

"I had some sweets from the last Hogsmeade trip, I had that for tea," I replied, fixing my hair over my shoulder a bit.

"Did you dip your fingers into the spoiling stock?" James yelled through his mouthful of toast as he straightened up, frowning.

"Yes, I did," I snapped back, and ignoring his whining that followed, I pulled out a caramel bar and slid it across the table toward him. He continued to mutter about how it wasn't fair I could break into our savings for when sweets were needed on a boring weekend night as he discreetly grabbed the bar and shoved it into his sticky robe pocket.

"Anyway, new plan for this weekend." James' face changed like a switch was flicked, and he perked up.

"There is one?" Peter asked, face creasing in confusion.

"I'll need a pick-me up til the end of the year," James said, eyes shooting to the entry to the dining hall, and then ruffling his hair quickly. I eyed the entrance, watching Lily walk in calmly and prettily.

"I don't think she likes messy hair like that, James," I said. "Girls generally don't fancy a man who can't take care of himself."

"Alright, but I can," James said, frowning. "My hair is messy because I'm an athlete, don't you see. It's the best way to show it off."

I watched Lily walk past us while chatting to Snape, not sparing a glance in James' sorry direction. Although James had made it clear he thought she wqs pretty since our first year, I never trusted him to believe he wanted to actually get serious with someone. He always seemed distracted from her whenever she was brought into conversation, I noticed. But when he'd began to express how he truly felt, I felt more sympathy.

"Hear me out," I said, turning back to James, "I just want you to be successful in your pursuit." I put my hand on Sirius' arm. "You see how my dormmates like Sirius, don't you? His hair is pretty. It goes well with his face, and he took interest in taking care of it and pampering it."

James' brow furrowed. "So . . . I should grow my hair out."

"No," I said. "You should style it. And see what you like. If you like how you look, she'll pay attention."

"I do like how I look," James said, frowning.

"Do you?" I rolled my eyes. "Then why are you glaring at Pucey everytime you're playing Slytherin?"

He glared at me now. "Because hair doesn't just stay that way in Quidditch!"

"And because Lily stares at him sometimes," Remus added, not paying much attention to the conversation despite listening.

"Vanity charms exist, my child," I concluded smugly.

"Vanity charms are for girls," he huffed.

"Is that why boys look like toenails at the best of times?" I replied, shooting my fiercest angry face at James. "imagine the steps ahead you could get by using those. I bet you most of the seventh year boys who are on Quidditch use those charms."

"Maybe I will," he murmured, now deep in thought. "Maybe . . ."

I lifted my eyes away from James and immediately they landed on Regulus diagonally behind him. He was reading while the boys around him discussed things boisterously. My cheeks heated and heart jumped.

If Sirius knew I had feelings for Regulus, it could go one of two ways; either I would be killed, or Regulus. Or both. If that happened, we would buried next to each other.