Chapter 29

"Are you kidding? No way." Janus hissed, sitting up in bed. "We're not stealing anything from my house, Rem."

"Why not?"

Janus rolled his eyes in the dark and stood up. He grabbed Remus' hand and pulled him into the room, shut the door and turned on the light. He stood against the door, glaring at Remus.

"Why not?" Remus repeated. "He's been a dick to you, we can just give him what he deserves."

"I'd rather that 'giving my dad what he deserves' doesn't involve a jail sentence. Why am I the only one in this house who doesn't want to go to jail?"

"Because you're not part of the family. Yet." Remus added hopefully.

"Rem, we've been over this. I don't want to burden your family with being here. I'm only here until I find a proper place to stay."

"But this is a proper place to stay. Mum and dad won't mind, they love you and Ro might take a while to come around but he's an idiot so-"

"Rem, listen to me." Janus sighed and sat down by Remus. "I would love to stay here with you. Love to. But don't you think it's a bit close to my house?"

"Why are you so scared about that? If you think your dad's gonna come to try and get you, he was the one who kicked you out of the house, not the other way around."

Janus shrugged. "I don't know. I guess I'm just... it's just the sorta... I associate a lot of bad stuff with that house and I've never had a problem visiting here but- I don't know." Janus shook his head. "I'm sorry. I'm being stupid."

"No you're not. Jan, I can't ever understand fully what you're going through because I can't imagine how horrid it must be but I want to help you. And if you want to move away to like a youth hostel or something then fine, that's perfectly okay. But if you'd rather stay here, that'd be so much better."

Janus hugged his arms around himself and bit the inside of his lip. "I mean... I'd like to stay here but I guess I'm just worried that it's not safe."

"No one is going to get hurt because you're here, Jan. Okay?"

"Okay."

"So if we're not going to steal back your stuff-"

"Thank you, Rem!"

"Then how can I get back at your dad."

"You don't have to. Rem, you don't have to do anything to get back at my dad. I love you and that's enough." Janus went pink as he realised what he'd just said. "Oh shit, oh shit, shit, shit-"

"I love you too." Remus muttered. He looked at Janus and laughed a little. "You're a dork."

"Wow, thanks." Remus laughed again. Janus smiled.

"Wait a minute. Wait a minute, I am just about to be brilliant. I have a plan for a way I can get back at your dad. And then call the cops on him but that's beside the point."

"Does this getting back at him involve you going to prison."

Remus shook his head. "All it involves is a phone."

"Voicemail. Again. Shit." Remus sighed. "Does your dad ever pick up the damn phone?"

"Not until at least 6 am."

Remus sighed. "Whatever. Voicemail will work. Hello, Mr Dagger. Yeah, I'm calling with a complaint about the way you treated your son. Now, it doesn't matter what you say to this voicemail because it's a recording of my voice from now when you are probably listening to this in the future. And also, we're gonna call the cops on you either way. Don't think you can't get out of jail. You've abused my boyfriend both, I'm informed from a very reliable source, mentally and physically. That's illegal. You're facing a prison sentence of at least 10 years. And I can't wait for that to happen you no good piece of shit. You know, you just give off this aura of.... complete and utter scumbag and you pull it off wonderfully. You don't have any right to be a dad, let alone a dad of someone like Janus. He's gay and so what? So am I and, guess what, so was your mum. Goodbye and never call this number back."

Remus finished the call and burst out laughing. "That was fun!"

"A 'your mum' joke? Seriously?"

"Eh, it'll hit him where it hurts."

"Sure it will."

"Now," Remus looked back at the phone and his grin dropped slightly, "you sure you're fine with giving a statement to the police?"

Janus hesitated then nodded. "It'll give him what he deserves."

*blinks several times*
This was one short-ass book. Wow, I'm sorry about that. Um, did you like it? Okay, um, I'm going to try tackle two books next. Mischief Before Its Time (or just Mischief for short) and Black Bow-Ties and Silver Gloves. The latter has the awesome characters Mina and Nancy Swearingparrot gave me. Thank you to them again and Merry Christmas to everyone if I can't come online tomorrow. :)
Bye,
Queenie