A Strange Contest

The story dates back to when we were in class three. A pack of noisy children packed in a class simply means chaos. I hardly remember any teacher capable of this Herculean task of keeping us quiet. Many teachers cursed us, complaining that we were the worst class they had ever seen in their life.One day, a new teacher joined our class. His name was Mr. Rahim and he seemed a person of calm nature. This made him the perfect victim of our many acts. We rarely attended to his lectures and completely neglected him. As a result, he was never able to conduct the class peacefully. We not only disturbed our classmates but also those around us with our high-pitched shrieks. That day seemed no different. But Mr. Rahim appeared with his face glowing with happiness. None of us took any notice of it unless he started saying "I have arranged a special contest for you. You need to shout as loud as you can. The one who can shout for the longest period will receive a gift." He paused for a moment andthen gazed with astonishment at the sea of students who were looking eagerly at him.Each and everyone was on top of the world when they heard of the 'prize'. A chorus of shouts went all over the class. Even the good-natured students, who were assilent as the tomb at other times, joined the gang of naughty boys who were yelling vociferously. Our shouts knew no bounds as the teacher himself had instructed us todo so.A moment later, there was a knock on the classroom door. Mr. Rahim scurried and opened the door. I couldn't figure out what he and the other person was talking about as everyone was yelling at the top of their lungs. I expected that Mr. Rahim would be criticized or scolded by that teacher. I earnestly believed that he would appear with a sinking heart at the next moment. But, alas! He appeared restored in spirits with his face gleaming with satisfaction.Our efforts continued and at the same time Mr. Rahim had to handle the protesting teachers. After a while, a feeling of tiredness shrouded me. I looked around and saw my fellow mates were also exhausted and had quit shouting. Exhausted, I flopped down into a chair. Mr. Rahim had been observing all of us with hisperiscope eyes. He opened a history book and started reading. Those of us who were drained of all our energy listened to him. Others were still screaming, greedy for the prize that awaits them.After sometime later, Rahul was the only one who was still shouting and not listening to sir's lectures. He turned around a couple of times and declared that he was the winner. He lustfully demanded his prize.Mr. Rahim remained blissfully content. He told Rahul "You got the prize of not listening to my boring lectures." Quite involuntarily, a cry of laughter went all over the class. Mr. Rahim then continued " I deliberately made you shout so that you get tired. Now your only option is to listen to me." That was a good lesson for all of us. I can still manage a smile thinking of that.