Chapter 57

"I have been a terrible father to you, haven't I?" Xichen faced his son in all honesty, putting age aside to address the boy like they were equals. Lan Jiang may be young but Xichen believed his boy was very sensible. Huizhong's silence made his heart heavy; the boy had already picked some habits from Lan Wangji. 

"It's okay to tell me what you think, son. I and your mother have been really unfair to you in these few years...I know it's my fault...I thought I was doing the right thing but instead, I focused more on what came second to my responsibility to you. I was selfish.", Xichen said sincerely.

Lan Huizhong managed to hold the blank face up longer than he thought he would. He missed his parents every time he was alone but he knew they had more important things to worry about. Things he did not even understand. Seeing his father so close was uncomfortable in the beginning. How many times had he witnessed such a scene; where one of his parents would crouch before him and apologize with sugarcoated words. He had grown tired of it already. 

"Zewujun..."

Xichen's face became solemn after that single word popped out of his little boy's mouth. Had it come to this, that Huizhong would call him by his title.

"A'Jiang, you dont have to be formal with me.", He tried to calm himself. 

"Zewujun is the Sect Leader of Gusu Lan Clan. I am just a disciple..."

"Lan Jiang, I am your father before anything else and you are not just a disciple."

"...Zewujun, A'Jiang does not want to cry because he can't make his father and mother happy. A'Jiang wants to be in a family-like Sizhui Ge, Hanguanjun, and Master Wei. They are always together even when they are sad.", Huizhong said wistfully.

Xichen sighed as he looked at the boy. "A'Jiang, I may not have said those words or show them but there has never been a moment I did not love you. You are more important than any title or possession. You are the future I want to protect. It is my job to make you happy... A'Jiang makes me happy with his existence."

Sect Leader Lan's hands crept up his son's face before drawing him in for a hug. He had been craving to hold Huizhong like this for a long while now. This moment was not easy for the boy either. He did not realize when his hands rested on his father's back but he felt safe in the warmth.

" A'Jiang, up until now, I thought I knew how to love and raise you... but I guess I truly dont know how...So can you help me? I want to know everything you like and dislike. It'll be a good way to start.", Lan Xichen said.

"Mn...", HuiZhong answered with a tone that made his father chuckle.

***********************************************************************************************

Jiang Wanyin stared quietly as Wei Ying cradled the baby girl. For a second he restrained himself from making any awkward comments. His eldest son Muyun joined them after his morning lessons. Jiang Cheng believed it was time to teach the boy how to read and write. It would also be a good way to distract him from asking for his mother often. 

"Muyun, why that long face.", Wei Ying draped a hand over the boy's shoulder when he came to him. 

"When is mother coming back home? I want to show her this.", Wei Ying took the sheet from his hand and glanced over the letters written haphazardly. "Wow Muyun, you write so well. You deserve a jar of Gusu's finest emperor smile.", Wei Ying giggled lightly. 

Jiang Cheng, "Wei Wuxian, my son is not ready for liquor."

"Of course not, he'll only have it when he's fifteen...By the way, Muyun, did you show this to any of the females in your class?", Wei Ying raised a brow at his nephew.