Chapter 5

Jiayi suddenly clutched the side of her head. It throbbed hard, and she winced from the pain; limping as she moved backwards. This was Wen Ning's chance.

Wen Ning, "Le...Let me help. I mean no harm."

Jiayi struggled to keep her balance. "Why does my head hurt so much." She cried. Wen Ning remembered letting her head bang on the ground when he got startled by the cultivator's gender. But this was not a detail he had to share. Besides, the girl did fall from quite a height at the mountains.

Jiayi, "Who. Are. You?"

Wen Ning, "I just want to help... You got injured fighting... Here, please sit." He finally grabbed her hand with care and lead her to sit on the wooden bed. A'Ning got braver and proceeded to treat her. He fed her a pill and lay her down. Jiayi calmed down after a while. Staring at Wen Ning with so many questions in mind, she dozed off.

********* **************** ************** ******************** ****************

(Back To Present Day...)

Lan Wangji payed a visit to his elder brother at the mountains early in the morning. He arranged his thoughts in his head as he poured tea for Lan Xichen. Lan Wangji came often to console his brother but today, aside his usual concern, he had another agender.

Lan Xichen, "Wangji, you seem tensed. What's wrong?"

Xichen forced a smile on his weary face. Lan Wangji was silent. His stoic expression still present as he lowered his eyes.

"Does it have to do with the Sect?", Xichen asked but Wangji did not reply. "Is it about Uncle... How is his health?", He tried again but his younger brother did not budge.

Lan Xichen, "Is there a problem with bother-in-law?"

Wangji's eyes looked up slowly and Xichen heaved a deep sigh, nearly panicking.

Lan Wangji, "The sect needs you brother...Uncle...I need you.". Wangji's eyes were fixed on him as he continued, "Brother, I know you're still grieving but...You have to come back. Uncle believes its time you produced an heir."

Lan Xichen's mouth dropped and his eyes grew wide. Clearly, he was still getting used to Wangji saying many words at a time but he was not expecting those words from his brother. Xichen rubbed his fingers between his brows; his brother's words felt like a huge rock upon his head and it made his head ache slightly.

Lan Wangji, "Brother, you're not growing any younger. Uncle is not wrong to say we should produce disciples."

Lan Xichen, "Lan Zhan, I feel there's more than you're leading on. There's no harm in what you say but are you fully aware of what you're asking of me?"

Wangji's eyes lowered again, "I know what I'm asking of you is selfish but you have to give Uncle a disciple of your loins, else he will try his best to separate me from my husband."

Lan Xichen knew that as clan leader, the chances of him getting married for the sake of his sect was higher than he marrying for love. It was something he had to face sooner or later. Being the first son, he would have relied on Wangji, but now that Wangji was married to another man, it all fell on him. His brother barely asked him for help. It seemed he only asks when it had to do with Wei Ying. Wanting to hide him from the world once, and now wanting to keep him by his side. Wangji was sentimental and it reminded him of how much his father fought to keep his mother by his side. But Wangji was stronger than his father and chose to live happily with the one he loved.

Lan Xichen smiled, "I've been here long enough... It's time I took responsibility and fulfilled my duty as clan leader... and as your brother again."

Lan Wangji bowed to his elder brother, letting out a silent sigh of relief. He never wanted to use his brother as a way out but he would not let Wei Ying be insecure or be kept from him. "Thank you brother", Wangji said.

Lan QiRen was pleased about Lan Xichen's return but was very much surprised about his request to find a bride.

Lan QiRen, "Why so suddenly? Don't tell me Lan Wangji put you up to this.". The old man turned his gaze towards the stoic Wangji sipping his tea.

Lan Xichen, "No Uncle...I'm not growing any younger, having a family would help keep me focussed."

Old QiRen nodded approvingly as he constantly gave Wangji a suspicious glare. You think you've won? We'll see about that. He thought to himself.

Lan Wangji did not look at his Uncle the whole time and kept his mouth shut.

Lan QiRen, "Xichen, I was going to attend a conference at Jinlintai a week from now. Since you're here, you should come with me."

Xichen only nodded and continued sipping his tea.

Its already been eight days since Lan Xichen returned and he was already dragged to a conference at Jinlintai. Many of the other sect leaders congratulated and praised him for getting rid of the treacherous JinGuanYao. Others also expressed how glad they were to see him after so many years. Through all the greetings, praises, and unwanted comments, Xichen only smiled and barely replied.

Soon, Lan Xichen felt like he could not breathe. In this place he stood were many memories he shared with his sworn brothers and they drowned him in so much pain. For a moment he envied his brother's poker face and wished he could pull that off as well as Wangji did. Every step he took reminded him of the man who hurt him most and the one he, Xichen, still felt he betrayed in the end. This person had shown him so much respect and had earned his trust. Now, hearing the people who once praised this man curse and say unpleasant things about him poked through his forcefully patched wounds. He wondered how his brother was able to endure a similar situation.

Lan Xichen stepped out of the banquet hall and walked around the residence. He reminisced about the good and bad times he had with his sworn brothers. He paused as he reached JinGuanYao's chamber. His feet seemed to have frozen and would not move. He saw JinGuanYao standing at the door staring at him. Clothed in the golden print fabric with his hat on. Smiling. His eyes looked happy and sad at the same time,and he could see tears well up in A'Yao's eyes.

"ZewuJun...", A voice called from behind.

Xichen turned. "Clan Leader Jiang", He smiled at the man clothed in purple robes.

This was Jiang Cheng, Wei Ying's brother. Jiang Cheng walked up to Lan Xichen and bowed.

"May I ask why you're not at the banquet hall?", The man asked.

Lan Xichen turned his head once more to JinGuanYao's chambers hoping to see that mirage again but he was no longer there. He was gone, leaving an empty space.

Jiang Cheng hardly entertained other sect leaders, but seeing the immaculate ZewuJun all alone, he felt something familiar.

Jiang Cheng, "ZewuJun, would you mind if I keep you company?"

Xichen turned to him and exhaled calmly. He smiled and nodded, "Yes..."

Thanks for reading. Sorry for any grammatical errors. Hope you liked this chapter and I would love to hear your thoughts. Please don't forget to vote if you like this :) See you soon dear WangXian Baby :)