CHAPTER SEVEN

"That's better," Emily said, looking at Eleven's face after having helped her wash it. "All clean. Well, your face is anyway. I still say you need a shower and a change of clothes. Ouch, Mike." She glared over at him as he patted a bandage onto her cut cheek, and since it was still an open wound, it hurt even after they had cleaned it.

"Sorry," he responded. "I still think you'll need stitches."

"I am not going to the hospital. No way."

"Well, you might need to-"

"No."

Mike sighed. Emily was stubborn and could keep an argument going forever, so he knew it was best to just drop it.

The two looked over at Eleven, who was looking into the mirror above the sink. She reached up and touched the top of her head, which was back to the buzz cut now that she was missing the blonde wig.

"You don't need it," Emily told her.

"Still pretty?" Eleven asked, looking over at her.

"Of course you are! You don't need hair to be pretty. Especially you, El."

Eleven smiled and reached over and lightly touched the bandage on Emily's cheek. Emily winced and moved away slightly, not wanting the wound to hurt even more. Noticing this, Eleven took her hand away. She seemed to have been paying attention earlier when Emily was voicing her concerns about the wound scarring, because she said, "Still pretty."

Emily smiled and looked down at the floor shyly, not being used to receiving compliments.

"She's right, you know," Mike said. Emily looked over at him. "I mean, you're pretty anyway, but if that scars, you'll look pretty badass."

Emily's smile grew. "Thanks, Mike," she said as her heart fluttered. Just like earlier that day, the two of them just stood there, looking into each other's brown eyes and wanting to say something more.

They had forgotten that Eleven was still there until she said, "Em. Mike."

Startled, the two of them looked over at her.

"Oh, sorry," Mike said. "Um... I'm glad you're home, El."

"Me too," she said.

Suddenly, the door was thrown open and Dustin burst in, looking frantic. "Guys!" he said. "It's Lucas, I think he's in trouble." The other three followed him out of the bathroom and over to the table, which had Mike's supercomm lying on it. "Do you remember how he said he was looking for the gate?"

"Yeah," Mike said.

"What if he found it?"

"I knew he shouldn't have gone alone," Emily said as Mike quickly grabbed his supercomm from Dustin, hearing Lucas's yelling.

"What's he saying?" Mike questioned.

"I don't know, he's way out of range," Dustin said.

"Lucas, if you can hear us, slow down. We can't understand you," Mike said into the supercomm.

They could hear Lucas start yelling again but they still couldn't really make out what he was saying.