A monotone world

When I was 8, I first learnt about how you never saw colour until you met your soulmate. I watched as my friends met their soulmates, excitement grew inside of me, wondering when I might meet my own soulmate. The more people who met their soulmates, the more excited and impatient I became to meet my own.

As I grew older, that excitement slowly began to die and was replaced with envy. I watched as my class peers met their soulmates, wondering if I'll ever meet my own. I found out not long after that 25% of the population didn't meet their soulmates in their life span. I might never meet my soulmate. 

"You need to calm down Koshi, be patient." My mother reminded me"You'll meet your soulmate, and once you do it'll be worth the wait."  

~ ~ ~ ~

"Are you alright Suga?" Daichi asked, which pulled Sugawara back to reality. He was sitting with his friends for a small reunion. Everyone was in town, so they were going to hang out together for the next few days. It had been a while since they had all seen each other, especially since they were all busy with their lives. 

"I'm alright." Sugawara offered a smile, sipping at his drink that was in front of him. 

"Are you sure? You seem to be spacing out..." Asahi studied Sugawara, who only offered a nod. 

"I'm a little tired from work today, I'm glad the week is over." it wasn't a lie, but it wasn't the full truth. In full truth, he felt a little bit left out, since most of his friends found their soulmates and could experience the world in a different light than what he could. He was happy for them nonetheless, but a small part of him envied them both.

"Same here." Daichi laughed, running a hand through his hair "I had a rough week honestly, I'm thinking of applying for a detective job."

"You should!" Sugawara's eyes brightened "You'd be amazing for that job!"

"Do you really think so?"

"Yes," Sugawara smiled widely "you'd be perfect for the job." Daichi smiled at this, but their conversation was interrupted. 

"Hey!" Tanaka's loud voice filled the bar, his arms raised above his head in excitement for the reunion. Kiyoko, his wife and their former manager, reminded Tanaka to use his inside voice. This caused the three boys to laugh. "Where are the others?"

"Running late, Noya said he would be a little late because of jet lag."

"Yeah, I can't believe how long it's been since we've seen each other." Asahi smiled to himself "it's been over two years since I last saw Noya."

The boys sat there in silence, Kiyoko grabbing herself and her husband some drinks. Tanaka smiled at Sugawara "it's been a while since I last saw you, how's teaching?"

"It's good, exhausting." Sugawara smiled widely "but it pays off when I manage to teach them something, they're so determined to learn. My students remind me of Hinata when we played volleyball." This made the boys chuckle, remembering the determination in Hinata. It seemed only like yesterday that they were playing volleyball in nationals. 

"Good times" Daichi smiled at the memory. "He's apparently coming in with Kageyama."

"Last I heard, they were engaged." Sugawara sipped at his drink, needing them to spill the tea. 

"About time" Tanaka laughed, he looked at Sugawara. His eyes seemed to pity Sugawara. He tried to ignore the stare, sipping at his drink. 

~ ~ ~ ~

An hour passed, the boys caught up, chatting about their latest accomplishments and their lives. Other former members had joined them, like Kageyama, Hinata and Noya. They were still waiting for Tsukishima, Yamaguchi and Yachi. Sugawara studied all of his friends, listening to them talk about their lives and how they were going. They were all moving forward in their lives, while he seemed to be staying behind. Daichi was looking to move up in his ranks, Asahi was considering expanding his abilities in his designs, Noya had travelled most of the world and met his own soulmate while in Italy. Hinata and Kageyama were both in the International Volleyball team and were getting married next summer. Sugawara couldn't help but feel left behind. 

He felt a nudge from Daichi, who had a worried expression. "Suga, are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." He smiled widely at Daichi "I'm just feeling really tired tonight. I might head off."

"Are you sure? Yachi, Tsuki and Yamaguchi aren't here yet."

"I'll see them tomorrow." Sugawara began to pack his things, slipping his coat on.

"Do you want me to take you home?"

"I think I can walk, tonight's nice anyways. Who knows, I might meet my soulmate" Sugawara said his goodbyes to his friends, before leaving the bar. 

He let out a deep breath, his breath visible in the air. The sharp air bit at his skin lightly, the sky engulfed in darkness only lit by the mood. Sugawara followed the path, listening to the cars that drove past. As he walked from the busy roads towards the quieter streets he thought back to his mothers words. Be patient. 

Surely I have been patient long enough. It has been 23 years, how much longer do I have to wait? He thought to himself, hiding his hands in his pockets. 

Sugawara looked up at the sky, studying the stars that were splattered across the dark abyss. He tried to find any familiar constellations, which he couldn't. He wasn't the best when it came to connecting stars and finding constellations, but it still helped him calm his mind. He closed his eyes, listening to his surroundings. Maybe it's okay if I never meet my soulmate, I might meet someone even better or maybe not meet anyone, become a crazy cat owner or something. He snickered to himself at the thought. I hope they're okay and are living the best life that they can. 

He continued his path home.