16. The Polar Express

Of all the things Alex expected to happen at 10:00 pm on Christmas Eve, it wasn't a magic train outside of his apartment building.

Alex has seen a lot of weird shit. He signed a dildo someone brought with them to a meet and greet, he watched his best friend run out of their tour bus, butt ass naked, for fucks sake, Alex himself sang a few songs in nothing but a beanie and a towel around his waist.

But a magic train? Someone must've drugged him. It's not like he's dreaming, it's only ten o'clock.

The train hadn't even woken him up, he had just heard it right outside. Alex doesn't even live near train tracks.

And the fucking train is stopped on the street outside his apartment building.

"All aboard!" Comes the voice of Tom Hanks and Alex makes his way through the snow, still in his sneakers, Ravenclaw pajama pants, beanie, and the random hoodie he found on the floor.

Before him stands a train conductor with a kickass mustache and some round glasses. He holds a clipboard and gazes at Alex with a raised eyebrow.

"You're not our usual demographic," the conductor states simply. "Alex Gaskarth, is it?"
"How did you-"
"This is you isn't it?"

The conductor flips the clipboard around so Alex can see his own name and picture as well as other information he doesn't care to read.

"Where did you-"
"This is the Polar Express," the conductor interrupts. "How did you end up on the list?"

Alex squints at the man. He's seen that movie, he remembers this scene. There's no way.

"If this is the polar express then where's my golden ticket?" Alex crosses his arms, raising an eyebrow.

"Adults are always so much more skeptical," the conductor huffs. "Check your pocket. And quick, we run a tight schedule, there's still one more person to pick up."

Alex checks the front pocket of his hoodie, but comes up empty handed. He checks the pockets of his pajama pants next, and pulls out a large train ticket, much like gold foil, but more durable and less crinkly.

"There, see?" The conductor says. "Now climb aboard. We have one more stop before the North Pole."

Alex, convinced he's dreaming, decides a free ride on a magic train to a semi-fictional destination sounds way more fun then drinking games during Home Alone. He climbs onto the train without question and sighs when he sees about eight kids running around.

Some dream.

He takes a seat close to the front, where there are less kids. Luckily, he had his phone and headphones in his pocket. He listens to Punk Goes Christmas until the train comes to another stop.

Surprised that it had taken maybe two songs before the train stopped again, Alex takes out his headphones and watches the conductor walk to the stairs outside of the compartment.

Alex looks out the window to see who it is, and is shocked to recognize his best friend Jack, wearing flip flops and flannel pajama pants. His blin T-shirt still has a hole in the shoulder, but it was the blonde stripe in his hair that gave him away.

"Jack!" Alex calls through the now open window.

Jack turns to look at Alex, but is too shocked to respond the conductor says something and Jack, thinking he's drunk, just shrugs and climbs onto the train, taking a seat next to Alex.

"So what's the deal with the kids?" He asks nonchalantly.
Alex is bewildered by Jack's lack of surprise. "I dunno. Stopped believing in Santa or something," Alex grumbles.