Part 4

(Jeno's POV Finally!)

Training was more like practice. I mostly focused on maces and swords since I prefer more physical weapons.

District 2's male tribute started chatting with me at lunch. We mostly talked about strategies and ways to keep the food safe, all of that crap. The guy from District 4 was too busy chatting with Hyo-Sonn, the girl from my district, to come talk with us.

I scoffed at that. "There's no way Hyo-Sonn is going to fall for him. She looks like she would rather stab his heart out than talk to him any longer."

Jaemin laughed a little at that. Then he glanced over at the boy from District 9. "Have you noticed we have a watcher?"

I glanced at the boy, who instantly pretended to be fascinated by his food, before responding, "Yeah. Maybe it's because we're from wealthier districts."

"Nope, I don't think so because he's not been watching any of the girls from our districts and he also hasn't been watching the idiot from District 4."

I thought about it, but no other ideas passed through my mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jaemin had been right about one thing. District 9's boy had been watching us. I found myself looking over at him more and more often, just to see if he was looking, and for some reason whenever I saw that he was, I felt the need to show off my skills.

Not going to lie, he is kind of cute.

I was startled by the thought. Why did I call him... cute?

Jaemin slid up next to me again, and surprised me by saying, "Ya know, District 9's boy is kinda cute. He keeps getting all embarrassed when I look at him, I love it!"

"I didn't know you were a flirt."

"Does it really surprise you though?"

"Nope. Predictable for a guy from District 2."

"Hey! What's that's supposed to mean?" Jaemin paused suddenly, and glanced at something behind me. He poked me in the shoulder and nodded his head towards whatever he was looking at.

It was District 9's kid, and he was at the throwing knives station. Both boys crept towards him, and got in line behind him. They admired how adorable he was when he looked concentrated, and how he would sigh cutely when he missed the target.

He had just finished grabbing all of the knives and was about to put them away when he noticed the two boys. He froze, startled, put the knives away, and then hurried away, red-faced, murmuring apologies.

"He's so cute when he's flustered," sighed Jaemin dreamily.

"And you're cute when you fawn over him like that," I replied.

Jaemin looked at me for a second, startled, and then laughed. "And you called me a flirt! At least I didn't go up to 9's face and say, 'you're cute!"

"It's not like I'm lying," I said grinning at him.

"Yeah, and I wouldn't be lying if I called you handsome."

I grinned. And then my face fell.

"What?" Jaemin asked, concerned.

"We're about to go into an arena and fight to the death... yet I don't think I could handle it if you died."

Jaemin winced, and sighed. "Yeah I couldn't either. And the worst part is we're going to have to hunt down our little 9."

My eyes widened as I realized what he said was true. "I couldn't do that...'' I whispered.

Suddenly the trainer announced that it was time to head back to our living quarters.

"We can talk about this tomorrow," Jaemin said quietly.

I nodded.

Unbeknownst to us, the Gamemakers were watching.