Chapter 4

Zara moves quickly as she used one hand to click off the seatbelt while the other tried to hold him from crumpling down into an uncomfortable position. Somehow the fire blazing at the back hadn't set to the front or hadn't caused the car to explode. Talk about a miracle that she was more than thankful for. She places her two hands under his arms and with all her God given might pulls him out of the car.

Shit, the man was way too heavy for her feeble strength though he didn't even in the least look like it. Zara knew that he didn't need to be bare for her to know that he was well built in stature. The outlines of his clothes showed it. Not a single chin hair or bulgy stomach in sight. He looked like a 5'10or so with his chocolate brown skin and neatly cut hair. If not for the fact that he was bleeding and gradually slipping into death, Zara would've said he looked presentable for a man his age. But it looks like he wasn't the careful kind.

While rescuing him, she didn't fail to note the now shattered pieces of what she believed was a liquor bottle that had some little bits stuck to his head and thus causing bleeding. He was drunk driving. What kind of individual drunk drives in the freaking morning?!

What the hell is he?.... Depressed?

Nevertheless, Zara keeps on dragging him from the sandy part of the vast land to the green part which was a good distance away from the crashed vehicle before she lays him down.

"Jesus Christ!!!" The driver of the taxi she entered suddenly emerges from the tall bushes as he exclaims in a loud voice which causes Zara to cringe slightly. Zara looks up and sees its him and couldn't have been more grateful. She just hoped the car was now fixed.

"Accident?" The driver questions the obvious as he moves down towards her and she simply nods as she busied herself with gently pulling off the noticeable glass pieces from his forehead. Zara looks up at the driver.

"Drunk driving" she says and he lets out an incoherent mumbling before voicing to her.

"You see all these young boys of this generation? That's how they just cut their lives short anyhow. Why should someone be drinking this early morning ehh?"

Zara only shakes her head also wondering the very same thing. What was this young man exactly thinking when he decided to even drink while driving. Didn't anyone ever warn him of the consequences?

"The car is good now right?" Zara questions and the man nods as he looked upon the face of the unconscious young man.

"Very good..." Zara breathes a sigh of relief. She truly was. "Please come and help me carry him so that we can rush him to the Teaching Hospital. You'll take the arms and I'll take the legs"

"Don't worry madam. I can carry him. You have already stressed yourself enough"

The driver was actually true to his word. He lifted the man up and carried him like a sack of grain and took him up the mildly steep path up to the road while Zara stayed behind and guided the unconscious body from falling. While they moved, Zara couldn't help but notice the dried tear stains on his cheeks and the ones that rimmed at his soggy disarrayed eyelashes. This man clearly had been crying either during or before the incident. During the incident she could understand but possibilities of it being before the incident got her confused.

If it truly was before the incident then that meant this man was probably distressed.

He had to be or else he wouldn't have been drinking. She had heard many times of how people had tried to drain their sorrows by drinking. Maybe this man wasn't any different.

But what could it have been that made him so distraught that he couldn't think to focus on the wheel in front of him?

Zara shrugs off the thoughts. This clearly wasn't her duty to think. It was his and she didn't know him. There's no way she was going to break her head on a random person's case in efforts to decipher his reckless actions.