Chapter 3: Moonlight

After we all finished eating, I decided to walk around the building. I haven't really been around the building except for the cafeteria, living room, and the student quarters. I walked past the living room and saw that this complex was actually much bigger than I thought. I walked all around our floor until I reached the teacher's quarters, which were strictly off-limits for any students. I think it's because it's where answer sheets for various tests are printed and papers are marked. It would be obviously restricted to faculty only in order to prevent students from cheating. Anyway, I turned around and walked outside to the garden. The path was paved with bricks and there were flowers on either side. The moonlight illuminated the garden through the clear glass dome above, and the stars were sprinkled across the night sky. The small pool of water at the center of the garden was a bright baby blue from the lighting underneath, and the flow of water cascading over the rocks was peaceful. I walked over to the pool and leaned on the railing, looking at my reflection, then I looked up at the moon in deep thought.

"Where have I seen her before? She's so familiar to me. It's like I've known her my whole life."

"Good evening Hiro." a familiar voice behind me called.

I turned around to meet those jade eyes and red horns, I was just thinking about her too. Standing behind me was none other than Zero Two, the girl that is now my roommate.

"Zero Two? What are you doing here?" I asked her.

"I could ask you the same thing, couldn't I? I went upstairs and I saw that you weren't there, and Goro hadn't seen you either. I got worried so I decided to look for you, and I saw you here through the glass." she replied. I could feel my face warming up after hearing she was worried for me, I don't know why.

"Oh, well thanks I guess...I'm fine though, I just decided to take a walk around the building." I said.

"Are you sure?" she asked. "You seemed pretty spaced out, is everything okay?"

"Everything is fine, just a long day. A lot has happened today." I replied. I stepped away from the railing and began to walk back to the main building, then I felt something brush against my hand.

"Hey Hiro, do you believe in love?" she asked me as she also looked out to the water.

"Love? I've heard people talk about it, but I never really focused on it or understood it at all. I guess there was this one time when I felt...its presence I guess? Hehe, what am I saying?" I answer as my left hand runs through my hair. I felt what "love" is like a long time ago and never after that, but it was only for a short period of time. It was with this girl I met back in 1st or 2nd grade, she lived right next to me too. We would talk in school and she gave me a nickname, I forgot what it was though. Actually, I don't really remember what she looked like at all, or what she was like as a person, just a very vague picture I have painted in my head. We were separated not too long after we met, as I was moving to America with my family. The last thing she said to me was something along the lines of "Wherever you go, don't forget me. I'll meet you again someday..." and I don't remember what was said after that. When I moved back to Japan 4 years ago, I didn't completely forget her, but I also highly doubted that I'd ever see her again. I haven't "loved" anyone since I met her, so maybe I'm just waiting for that day to come.

"Ahh, I see," said Zero Two, bringing me back to the present. "Sorry for the random question, I was just thinking about it too."

"Do you believe in love?" I ask her.

"That's a secret," she replies and smiles at me. "By the way, if you didn't already know, you're blushing."

"What? No, I'm no-"

"I don't think you've realized that we're holding hands either." She cuts me off.

I look down at our hands and realize she was right; we were holding hands. My face began to feel hot as I let go. How did I not notice? It just felt so natural that I couldn't say something was off. When I let go of her hand, my hand instantly felt cold, as if her hands were a source of warmth.

"Heh, you should probably get some sleep Hiro, it is quite late after all." She stretched her arms up into the night sky.

"Y-yeah, I guess you're right. Aren't you going to come too?" I ask.

"No, not yet, I'm going to take a walk for a bit. I want to explore the complex."

"Well in that case, do you mind if I join you?." I ask her. She looked at me for a second, then laughed.

"Why would I mind if you joined? Let's walk together, I want to get to know you better anyway, darling."

My head began to hurt and- wait a second, did she just call me darling?

Authors Notes:

Hi everyone! I'm so sorry for the lack of uploads but here, I present to you all the long-awaited 3rd chapter in the series. Like I explained in my previous update, I plan to continue this story and will write whenever I have the free time to do so. I hope that this chapter will make up for a much-needed continuation of the story. If you're enjoying my story, please consider voting, commenting, and sharing my story. It's not needed but I would like to see how many of you are interested in Reunited, as it is my first amateur story.

Thank you all for your continued support and I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

- xFrostyVanilla