Chapter Five

I've never been a huge fan of eggs. I mean, I could always just take em' or leave em.' That is until one day, in Karl Jacobs' garage, when my feelings about eggs were solidified.

One night, Clay went with his sister to hang out with her friends. They were in a band. His sister wasn't in it though, just George's two older brothers, and Karl.

They were all sitting around laughing and playing music, when Karl looked over at his snake.

"Hey, hey, hey, guys. Edna found her dinner," Karl said while walking towards the glass cage.

I mean, if a slimy reptile found them appetizing, there was certainly no place for them in my diet.

The five of them gathered around the cage, watching the snake struggle to eat the egg.

I could've gone my whole life not knowing that snakes eat eggs raw, if it hadn't been for my sister. She had a major-league thing for Karl Jacobs.

The snake finally ate the egg. Clay had to watch it all.

I tried to be casual about it, but it didn't take long. I started having bad dreams. I'd be trapped inside a huge egg, and this monster would open its jaws and start to devour me. I'd wake up just in time.

The next day, Clay heard a knock from his front door, so he opened it. George was standing on his porch, smiling, holding a basket of eggs.

Then, the real nightmare began.

"Hi, Clay. I brought these over for you and your family. My chickens started to lay eggs." George hands Clay the basket.

"What?" Clay laughed, grabbing the eggs.

"Do you remember Abby, Bonnie, Clyde, Dexter, Eunice, and Florence? The ones I hatched for the science fair."

"How could I forget?"

George smiled.

It was classic George. He totally dominated the fair. And get this. His project was all about watching boring eggs hatch. I mean, here I had a live-action, erupting volcano, and all anyone cared about was George's boring chicks, breaking out of their boring shells. But hey, he won. I lost. I've never been one to dwell. But that didn't mean I had to eat his lousy eggs.

Later that day, Clay's family were sitting at the table, eating dinner.

"Well, I think it was very sweet of George to bring us those eggs," his mother announced.

"I don't care. I'm still having cereal for breakfast," Clay said, shoveling food into his mouth.

"Yeah, how do we know there's no chicks in one of those eggs?" His father bickered.

"I used to eat farm-fresh eggs when I was a kid. They were delicious," his grandfather said.

"Yeah, well, that's all well and good, but what if we crack one open and a dead chick falls out?" His father added.

"Do they have a rooster? If they don't have a rooster, the eggs can't be fertile," his grandfather assured.

"And if they had a rooster, we'd know. The whole neighborhood would know," his mother added.

"What if they got it de-yodeled?" Clay's sister asked.

"De-yodeled?" His father mocks.

"You know. De-cock-a-doodle-do'd," she says.

His father starts to get angry. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"Like, how they de-bark dogs."