Chapter Ten

CONTENT WARNING: This chapter includes ableist references and homophobia.

Sunday mornings are peaceful at our house. My dad lets himself sleep in. My mother lets herself not fix breakfast. If my brothers were out late playing with their band, you wouldn't even know they're around until noon. But this Sunday, I woke up feeling weird. I had to do something to shake off the confused feelings about Clay that were starting to creep back in.

George was watering the grass, when his father came out the front door with a bag in his hand.

"You really did it, didn't you?" His father laughed, admiring their new yard. "I'm proud of you."

"Thanks, Dad. Where are you going?"

"To see my brother. It's his birthday."

"I want to come with you."

"Oh, Georgie, just enjoy the morning. Stay with your mom."

"No, Dad. I want to come," George insisted.

"Georgie, listen. Sometimes, with my brother..."

George interrupted him. "I'm coming, Dad."

"Okay," he said, unsure if this was a good idea. "We better leave a note for your mother."

In all the years, I'd never visited my uncle. I don't know why. It was always something my dad did alone.

We didn't say much to each other on the drive there, but I didn't care. I just liked being with my dad. Somehow, the silence seemed to connect us in a way that words never could.

As they were pulling into the parking lot, George noticed people working in the gardens.

"The residents tend to the grounds as part of their therapy," his father smiled.

We walked up to my uncle's room. He opened the door before we could even knock.

"GEORGE!" He yelled.

It startled me, I didn't know he knew who I was. We have never met before. He gave me a hug.

It was the best hug I ever had.

"I have your pictures, Georgie," he reached out for George's hand to lead him to the pictures.

He was so excited to finally meet me. I was excited too.

My dad gave him his presents. He got a puzzle and a pinwheel. He was so excited.

He asked if we could go outside, so we did. My dad told him we were going to get ice cream. He got even more excited. I've never seen someone this excited before.

Seeing him so happy made me happy.

My dad got the three of us ice cream, then walked back to where my uncle stayed.

One the ride home, my dad told me that he used to live with him and mom, before we were born. But after a while, it became too difficult.

When we got home, everything looked the same. But it wasn't. Before today, my uncle was just a person to me. Now, he was part of me.

When me and my dad walked into the house, my mother was mopping the floor.

"How'd it go?" She asked.

"I'm glad I went," George chirped.

"I'm glad you went, too."

"Honey, it's Sunday. What are you doing mopping the floor?" His father asked.

"Clay's mother invited us over for dinner Friday night."

George's jaw dropped.

"Shouldn't she be mopping her floor or did she ask to borrow ours?" He laughed.

His mother laughed. "Nervous energy."

"Did she invite all of us?" George asked in disbelief.

"Yes! She did."

"Even our friend? Salmonella?" His father was upset.

"Really?" His mother was disappointed with him.

"Why, after all these years?"

"Well, she said she felt really bad that they hadn't invited us over before, and apparently they want to get to know us better," his mother smiled.

"And you want to go?"

"Well, she insisted. And I think it would be really nice."

His father crossed his arms and sighed. "All right. We'll go."

I wasn't too thrilled about dinner with them, but I could see it meant a lot to my mother.

At school the next day, I couldn't seem to concentrate.

My thoughts kept running back to my uncle. I wondered what my grandparents had gone through, having a son like him. Then, reality interrupted.

Niki sat down next to George.

"Clay likes you."

"What?"

"He has a huge crush on you," she smiled.

"What are you talking about? Clay does not have a crush on me."

"Oh, yeah? In science, I caught him staring at you. He said it was because there was a bee in your hair." Niki laughed. "Is that the lamest cover-up or what?"

"Maybe there was a bee in my hair," George was disappointed.

"I'm telling you, that boy is lost in love land. Come on." She grabs George's hand.

"Where?"

"I saw him sneaking off with Nick. Come on."

They ran over to where Clay and Nick were talking. The only thing separating them was a bookshelf.

"Are you freaking mental? George? You hate him."

"That's what's so weird. I don't think I do. I can't stop thinking about him."

George smiled at Niki.

"You got it bad, man."

"Well, what do I do?"

"Well, you gotta nip this in the bud. These aren't real emotions."

"They're not?"

"You're not gay. You can't be. You just feel guilty because of the egg thing."

"Well, yeah, and I insulted his yard."

"Exactly. Of course, that place is a dump anyway."

"Yeah, well, his dad's got a handicap brother and all their money goes to helping him."

"He's a handicap? Well, shoot, that ought to tell you something."

"About what?"

"About George."

"What are you saying?"

"The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, my friend."

Clay laughed.

"Yeah."

"Right, um, I'll talk to you later."

"Okay," Nick said softly.

"I'm sorry. I thought," Niki started.

"It's okay." George sighed. "It's fine."

And it was. Because now, my confusion was gone.

I was sure, I no longer liked Clay.