Chapter Thirteen

CONTENT WARNING: This chapter contains slight homophobic references and bullying/abuse.

Dinner with George's family had taken its toll on me. Then, the annual school fundraiser arrived and I found myself a whole new set of problems.

I was a Basketboy.

To fully appreciate the humiliation of being a Basketboy, you need to know that the chosen few are auctioned off, in front of the student body, to the highest-bidding females.

Yes, technically each of us comes with a lunch in a basket, but let's not kid ourselves. This was a beefcake parade.

Clay was walking down the hall, not too far away from the front door, when Nick came running through.

"There he is, my idol," Nick yelled, running through the hall.

"One word, you're a dead man," Clay snapped.

"No, man, I'm serious. Listen, you won't believe this."

"What?"

"Two of the hottest chicks are fighting over you."

"What are you talking about?"

"Minx is breaking up with Alex. She and Alyssa are having a bidding war over you."

"I don't care."

"Are you nuts? Minx dumped Alex because of you. You're my idol."

As comforting as it was to be Sapnap's idol, it didn't diminish the horror of being Basketboy number nine. My only hope was that a giant tornado would destroy the school before the event. It was a long shot.

It was the day of the auction, Clay was incredibly nervous. It was almost his time to walk onto the stage.

"Welcome, everyone, to this year's Boosters Club Auction. One again, we are pleased to present twenty of this school's finest young men."

Clay zoned out. All he could think about was George.

"And now, please give a big welcome to your 1967 Basketboys."

All the boys walked onto the stage.

Thus began the bidding.

The bidding went by fast. Basketboy number eight was being auctioned. Clay was next.

All I could think of was George.

"Next is Basketboy number nine, Clay."

I knew I was supposed to step forward, but I couldn't move.

"Step up, Clay, don't be shy."

Clay walked to the front of the stage.

"Better late than never," the announcer laughed. "Clay likes to play basketball," she was interrupted.

"Five dollars," Rebecca yelled from the crowd.

"Oh, well, wait until I," she was interrupted again.

"Ten," Alyssa yelled.

"Fifteen."

"Twenty."

"Twenty-five."

"Thirty."

"Thirty-five."

"Forty."

"Fifty," Rebecca smirked.

"Oh, my. Sold to Miss Rebecca for fifty dollars, an all-time record."

The crowd started clapping.

"Oh, the boosters will be very grateful for such a generous donation."

It's strange.

Here I was, having lunch with the hottest girl in school, and I was miserable.

"We're going up to the lake. My dad has a cabin there and you get the most outrageous tan," Rebecca rambled.

Because less than twenty feet away from me was George.

My George.

He's laughing. What was he laughing about? How could he sit there, and laugh, and look so handsome?

"Clay, are you all right?" Rebecca asked.

"What?" Clay laughed.

"What are you staring at?"

"Nothing."

"Lunch is really delicious, Clay."

Clay was still staring at George.

"Clay, did you hear me? This is a really delicious lunch."

"Can we not talk about tanning or food?"

"Well, what do you want to talk about?"

"I don't know, perpetual motion? Do you know anything about that?"

"Perpetual what?"

Clay stood up.

I don't know what came over me. It was like I was possessed or something.

"George, I have to talk to you," he said, grabbing George's arm.

"What?" George sounded upset. "What's going on, Clay?"

Clay grabbed George by the waist, causing George to jump.

"What are you doing?"

He shut his eyes, leaning in to kiss George.

George quickly slid away from Clay's grip. "Clay, stop it."

The whole lunch room went silent. George ran out, with Clay running after him. By the time Clay made it outside, it was too late, George was gone. He stared, regretting everything.

"What's the matter with you?" Nick yelled, running up to Clay.

"Leave me alone, Nick."

"So, what, are you gay now? You get a date with the finest girl on campus and you blow it for George."

"You wouldn't understand."

"I completely don't understand. We're talking about George right now. A boy. Nightmare neighbor, know-it-all nuisance. The coop-poop boy."

"Shut up," Clay yelled, pushing Nick into the wall.

"Have you flipped? What's the matter with you? You know what, if you're going to be like this, I don't need the association."

"Good, because neither do I."

Nick had never seen Clay this angry. He was scared.

As I walked home, all I could think about was George. And I realized Nick was right about one thing: I had flipped. Completely.

Clay banged on George's front door as hard as he could, but no one would answer. He gave up and went home.

When he got home, he called George's house phone.

"Hello?" A voice came from the phone. It was George's mother.

"Oh," Clay laughed nervously. "Hi, um, is George there?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, Clay. George doesn't want to talk." She sounded genuine and sincere.

A few hours later, Clay decided to knock on George's door again.

George's mother opened the door.

"Please, Miss. I have to talk to him."

"I'm sorry, Clay, but I'm afraid he's locked himself in his room."

Clay looked down at his shoes, and before he could look back up, the front door was already closed.

I tried to go to bed early that night, but I couldn't sleep. I watched his house from my window for hours.

I had to find a way to show him how I felt.