Chapter 1

New York City, early 2019

The high skyscraper in front of her looked intimidating.
After jumping down from the cab, she removed her sunglasses and looked up at the top of it.
The noises of New York City quickly woke her from thoughts and she hurried to reach the doorman who was waving at her.
Once inside the building, her ears welcomed the quieter and cozy place she found herself into. But she didn't get the time to analyze it, since a lively voice called her.

"Crystal!".

Crystal turned to the voice, making her blonde hair dance around her face.
A tall man in casual clothes emerges from a group of strangers and welcomed her with a bright smile.

"Ives" she greeted back, offering him a hand, that he shook vigorously.
"It's so good to have you here" he surprised her by pulling her into a hug.
The young woman stiffened, guessing that he was checking if she wore weapons as she felt his hand pressing against her back and then brushing around her waist.

"My boss is waiting for you" he announced when he finally let her go "In the meanwhile I'll take your bags to your new flat".
She turned at the entrance doors where a porter was already dealing with her luggage.
A soft grin sparkled on her face at the idea that if they cared to inspect it, they would never find anything suspect.
"Come, my friend will lead you to the right office" Ives touched her arm and encouraged her to follow him through a corridor, until he waved at another man who just exited a conference room.
Crystal eyed a poster announcing some course in Advanced Physics. That would be something she would enjoy, more than any interview to get a job she didn't want.

"She's our new recruit" Ives was saying lively to his friend, a tall blonde man in his late twenties, wearing an elegant suit.
He scanned the woman with an unreadable gaze.
She wouldn't have minded at all if he wanted to inspect her. She was clear. But the idea that his big hands could brush all over her body to try to unveil her secrets was almost inviting.
Pushing the inappropriate thoughts away, she stepped closer and offered a hand with a friendly smile "Hello, I'm Crystal".
He shook her hand quickly, with a cold gesture "Neil".
Was he innocently diffident towards strangers or was he seeing right through her?

Ives was speaking, but she missed most of it because of her brooding.
She just obeyed to Neil's nervous gesture to follow him towards the elevators.

"Great, now he's going to kill me" she mentally joked, feeling uneasy in front of his cold attitude.
Probably he wasn't a good target. She could only hope that the famous Protagonist was more emphatic and easier to befriend.

"You don't need to worry. Just be confident in your skills. He's a good man" Neil said quite absentmindedly, pressing some button as soon as she followed him into the elevator.
She winced when they moved upwards.
Being forced to be caged into a narrow box with a man who uncommonly didn't fall for her natural charm.
She glanced at him, catching a soft smile that didn't reach his eyes.
He was handsome, but he raised a wall between them.
Very professional, she commented to herself. She shouldn't expect anything less from someone working in a secret agency.
Surely he expected her request to join his group to be rejected.