Chapter 5

I hurriedly placed all the teacups and teapot on the tray just to make sure not to disappoint the Captain twice in one night.

Three teacups, check. Teapot, check. Tea, check.

I sighed deeply before lifting up the tray.

One more disappointment, I'd be finished.

I turned towards the main door's direction as Miss Becker went out the door of our shared room.

"Oh, let me guess. It's Captain Levi's tea, correct?" Miss Becker asked while pointing at the tray.

I nodded. "Yeah." I said and half smiled, showing how stressed I am.

"He loves to drink tea. Requests to deliver it to his office every morning and night." She added.

"Oh my. So that means-" I said.

"Yeah. That adds up to your responsibilities here." She said. "Was he really that scary? In my 30 years working here, I see him in the premises but I never talked to him."

"You should've seen the look on his face when I delivered his meal." I sighed and added. "It's like he hates my whole existence."

"Oh, well, you better hurry up and send him his tea." Miss Becker said. "Wouldn't want to disappoint him."

I nodded and left the kitchen with the Corporal's tea in my hands. In just a few minutes, I already arrived in front of his office, hearing muffled voices from inside the room.

I took a deep breath and knocked on the door three times before speaking. "It's your tea from the kitchen, Captain."

There was a long pause which made me curious because I heard whispers.

Someone inside sighed and spoke up. "Come in." That person yelled, which actually sounded like Commander Erwin.

I slowly opened the door and went inside, struggling a little bit because of the tray in my hands.

The room looks extremely clean and it smells like mint with a little musk. Hange and Erwin were sat down on the chairs in front of Levi's table while he was sitting at his own office chair.

All eyes were on me by the time I went inside the room.

"You can place the tea there, (Y/N)." Hange said and pointed at the small counter table just near them.

"You don't need to tell her how to do her own job, Hange." Levi spoke up, and started doing his paperwork. "She knows what her responsibilities are."

I walked towards the table.

"Is that why you never told her to come in? Because you expect her to do it nonetheless?" Erwin asked.

I slowly placed the teapot on the table, then the teacups.

"Again, she should know what to do since it's her job." Levi replied. "And also, she should know that I don't like it when people disturb me while I work."

They continued discussing as I pour the tea on each cup, getting stressed at how the topic was about me.

"Oh come on, Levi." Hange said. "It wouldn't hurt just to say 'come in'."

"Entertaining a person only because she delivers my meal is a waste of time and breath." Levi said.

"You always have excuses for everything." Erwin replied and sighed.

Levi continued on working his papers as I serve the tea to each one of them. I placed Hange's tea in front of her as she smiled in return, also with Erwin. But Levi just kept on doing his work as I served his.

I picked up the tray and was ready to leave as I heard Erwin speak.

"Are you not even gonna say 'thank you' to the person who served you your tea?" Erwin asked Levi as the grumpy person sighed.

Levi though never spoke up and just continued with his work.

Erwin sighed after waiting for Levi to speak up. "Thank you, (Y/N)." Erwin said and smiled. "Rest well and see you again tomorrow."

I smiled at Erwin and Hange as well since she also smiled at me. I left the room and headed straight to the kitchen. My heart started to beat slower as I walked back to my room.

By the time I got to the kitchen, I placed the tray down on the counter and took a deep breath to completely calm myself down.

I sat down and untied my hair, letting it breathe after being tied up the whole day.

I tucked in small strands of hair behind my ears and closed my eyes.

"I really miss my family." I whispered to myself. "I hope I could visit them sooner."

I sighed, remembering how dad would always be proud to sell a lot of his harvest that day and how mom would always be happy to see us siblings spending time together. And also, how Leon's face would light up whenever he talks about his favorite Captain.

If only you knew how bossy and scary your idol is Leon.

I sighed yet again before standing up to close all the windows and doors of the kitchen. I restlessly climbed up to my bed right beside Miss Becker's and closed my eyes.

Only to fall asleep exactly at the next second.

The next day....

I groaned at how the sunlight brightly shone inside the room. I took a small peak from my right eye and saw that it was already morning.

I rubbed my eyes and looked over to Miss Becker's bed, only to find that she wasn't there anymore.

Oh shit.

I immediately sat up and looked out the window to see if it was already late by looking at the sun's position.

The sun is still rising. I'm not late.

I picked up my hair tie and tied my hair, for the millionth time since I had this job. Nobody has ever seen me with my hair down, except my family. And I actually liked my hair up more. Maybe because I got used to it.

My mouth let out a small sigh.

First real day of my work here. Hope nothing goes wrong.

I stood up from the bed and patted my clothes.

I have to go and take a bath.

My feet headed directly to the kitchen and I found Miss Becker already preparing for the Scouts' lunches. She noticed my presence and gave me a smile.

"Good morning, darling." She said as she chopped up the potatoes on the cutting board. "If you're wondering, our bathroom is outside. After you step out of the backdoor, it's on the small cubicle on the right."

I nodded. "Good morning, Miss Becker. And thank you."

I was supposed to return to get my things inside the room but was interrupted by Miss Becker.

"Oh, actually, you left your bags on the chair yesterday." She said and chuckled.

"I'm sorry, Miss Becker." I chuckled and said before walking towards the bag and collected a new shirt and long skirt.

I then found the broken gear handle that I was supposed to give to Leon yesterday. I imagined what his face would've been like if he saw this.

I picked up the handle and checked if it was still okay, never hearing the kitchen door open.

"G-Good morning, Captain Levi." I heard Miss Becker greeted.

Wait, what?!

I quickly turned around and saw the Captain inside the kitchen, his eyes on me, but it suddenly travelled down to my hand, resulting to his furrowed brows.

I quickly hid my hand behind me, hoping maybe he didn't see the thing clearly.

"You do know stealing isn't allowed here, right?" He asks as he pointed at my left arm.

Oh God, I'm gonna get fired on my first day of work.