CHAPTER 1 : A DAY OF DEPARTURE, A DAY OF BEGINNING

"The city of Orario has everything."

That's what he told me when I was young.

"Fetching young ladies, of course—those elves you're so fond of, goddesses with voluptuous figures...and of course, even your soul mate. If you've an urge to go, then go!"

Back then, all I could do was hold on to my dreams in one hand, with a book of fairy tales in the other.

"If you play your cards right, riches and fame could be yours, too. But once you set foot there, like it or not, you'll be drawn into the ebb and flow of history. That's just the kind of place it is," he said, neither smiling nor angry, only simply stating a fact. "But...that's exactly what gives you the chance to be a hero. So, if you're ready, go."

That's what my grandfather told me.

"I'll say only this: Don't compromise yourself for anyone. Not for a spirit, nor for a god."

I remember his words well.

"Don't blindly obey. Decide for yourself."

I remember his eyes.

"This is your story."

I'll never forget the way he smiled.

He's gone now, but I hold dear all the many things he told me.

Somehow, I can tell those memories are going to keep popping up as they please for along, long time.

"Hey, kid. You can see it now."

Ka-tunk, ka-tunk.

I slip out of a dream to the noisy jostling of the cart and open my eyes. I've been sleeping curled up around some hay bales, but when I hear the voice belonging to the old man driving the cart, I hastily poke my head out to see.

"...!"

A single sight greets me as the cart crests a small hill on the well-maintained road. My jaw drops as I stare dumbfounded at the stunning view.

"This is amazing!"

"Ha-ha-ha! That's what everyone says when they see Orario for the first time, boy!" The old man driving the cart—a human merchant—laughs in amusement at how I'm trembling in astonishment.

Up to this point on the road, the main highlight has been the distant but still clearly visible towers that greet me every time I look up. The scale of the sight that now greets me, though—it's on another level. My village upbringing leaves me at a complete loss for words.

The Labyrinth City of Orario.

The center of the world, where one can find riches, fame, and fated encounters.

It gives me goose bumps to be able to lay my eyes on the place that served as the stage for so many of the adventures from my beloved stories and epics about legendary heroes.

"Thank you so much, mister! I'll be all right from here!" I give my thanks to thekindly merchant who's brought me this far and leap out of the cart, shouldering myfew belongings as I rush down the road that leads to the awesome metropolis.

"Hey! You've quite a ways until you actually reach the city, boy!"

"It's all right! I'll run!" I say over my shoulder with a wave and a smile. ThenI turn back to the city and charge up the hill toward it, as though propelled by my uncontainable excitement.

The old man was right. It takes quite a while before I reach the high stone walls.

I'm exhausted, gasping and sweaty, but now that I'm face-to-face with these walls that looked gigantic even from a distance, I feel yet another wave of wonder.