INTERLUDE : ELVEN UNREST

"""Cheers!"""

White foam splashes extravagantly as a dozen or more of our cups, each generously filled with wine or ale or juice, collide in a toast, and then we all gulp—or sip—our drinks.

We're in The Benevolent Mistress.

It's evening; the sun has just gone down, and the tavern that stands along the western main street is as prosperous as ever. The interior is lively and full of patrons, all suffused in the warm glow of its magic-stone lamps. Now that I've made it back from the expedition, the clamor raised by the drunken dwarves and prums is strangely comforting.

We are holding a banquet. A drinking party, really.

Hestia Familia , Miach Familia , and Takemikazuchi Familia are all here, as well asan assortment of other familiar faces.

"Congratulations on getting out of your cast, Mr. Bell!" says Lilly enthusiastically.

I manage a nervous smile. "Ha-ha-ha...Um, thanks?"

This is actually the second party we've thrown since returning from the expedition. The first was a homecoming celebration held in our familia's headquarters. Miach and Takemikazuchi were there to raise their cups with us.

The second—this one—is in celebration of my cast coming off.

To be honest, I did feel a bit strange about using that as a reason for yet another party...but I've been craving Mia's cooking, so I suppose it's all right. Even Lilly okayed it, and she's ruthless with managing our finances.

Incidentally, our goddess is, as usual, at her part-time job.

"Don't worry, we'll handle cheering up poor, dejected Hestia, so you should allgo and enjoy yourselves as familias!" was what Takemikazuchi had said. Apparently, he, along with Miach, Hephaistos, Hermes, and Demeter were all going to have a gods' night out. He'd said something about there being "a lot to discuss."

"Wow, this is tasty. It's a little expensive, but this Benevolent Mistress is a nice tavern,'" says Daphne, licking her lips after sampling a bite of the food.

"You'd never been? It's pretty famous among adventurers," says Welf.

"It is, but...for some reason, Apollo had some kind of a problem with it. My old familia never came here."

Everyone's enjoying themselves. Lilly and Nahza are trading jokes as they quibble over potion shopping—although their eyes aren't smiling much. Mikoto, Chigusa, and Haruhime are having a grand old time reminiscing about the past, with the members of Takemikazuchi Familia joining in. No doubt they're trying to stealback some time with Haruhime now that she's officially joined our familia.

I look on as Ouka watches them quietly and fondly like an older brother, not interrupting. A flush rises to my cheeks.

...I suppose Loki Familia won't come...

I look around our table, and then my gaze scans across the rest of the tavern. I find myself hunting for the strongest familia in the city.

And a certain golden-haired girl.

Ever since the Xenos incident, and having survived so many adventures, I can't help but want to see Aiz again.

I wouldn't say that I want her to see me now that I've grown so much, exactly, but...I want to know where I stand. I want to confirm certain things—by seeing her,the person I look up to so much.

I do have a promise from her to teach me combat techniques again, but the truth is I'm not sure how to approach her about it.

"Hmm? What's the matter, Bell? Whatcha looking around for?" asks Welf.