INTERLUDE : MY HOME, MY FAMILIA

The sun seemed to hurry down past the edge of the city walls, perhaps because summer was ready to give way to autumn. Stars twinkled in the deep blue of the nightsky.

The streets of Orario thrummed with life, as they always did—magic-stone craftsmen were finishing their day's work, merchants were networking to secure access to valuable commodities, and the deities of powerful familias were enjoying themselves at the feasts and parties held by those hopeful merchants. Smiths, herbalists, bards, and prostitutes were hard at work as well. What arose from the heady mix of people and occupations drawn together by the Dungeon was a hedonistic energy. It was an atmosphere found nowhere else but the Labyrinth City,the so-called center of the world.

The adventurers returning from the Dungeon fit right in as seemingly every last one of them headed straight for a tavern.

All eight of the city's main streets were packed.

But amid all that, there were those who did not venture out into the city, out of austerity or frugality. Or honorable poverty. Or abject destitution.

Their reasons were many, but there were familias that shied away from the clamor, choosing to pass the time at home, instead.

"Huh, so you ran into Wiene?"

"Yes! Despite the time and place, I was overjoyed to see her!"

Wearing a maid's pinafore, Haruhime chatted happily with Hestia in the spacious living room of Hearthstone Manor.

Dinner concluded, the members of the familia were all relaxing. Hestia was seated on the living room couch and having a pleasant conversation with Haruhime, who had finished her chores.

"I think this is a little strange to say when we're discussing dear sweet Lady Wiene, but...she has become so very strong. She really has."

"Really now? Huh, so she's not a little crybaby anymore...Ugh, lucky you. I wish Icould've seen her, too. But gods can't go in the Dungeon."

"I-I'm sure there will be other chances! P-perhaps you could sneak into the Dungeon with Master Bell and—"

"Heh, I actually did that once before with Hermes and got a real earful from the Guild for my troubles...If we got hit with that kind of penalty fee again, there's no telling how our supporter might take it out on us, Haruhime."

The conversation in Hearthstone Manor was by turns envious and hopeful as they happily discussed another dear member of their family who had spent time with them in this very home.

Haruhime, who was training to be a maid and who often found herself minding the manor, had many opportunities for pleasant conversation with Hestia. The young goddess's personality being what it was, it had not taken long at all for them to become quite accustomed to each other after Haruhime joined the familia.

She was a modest and polite girl. Though initially timid as a fox cub, once she was comfortable around someone, her smile was kinder and gentler than anyone else's. These were all components of Haruhime's charm. Her surprisingly strong will was another part of it, too.

Little wonder that Wiene had taken to Haruhime before Hestia.

"Listen, Haruhime...You're a hard worker, and I'll always support you in whatever you do, but...all I ask is that you don't pull anything weird with Bell, got it? I know I'm saying that all the time, but still. Especially at night."

"Hweh?!"

Setting aside the time Haruhime had tried something inconceivable on the boy basedon certain preconceptions she held, Hestia had a soft spot for Haruhime.