CHAPTER 7 : TALES OF TIMES PAST - THE BLACK BIRD AND THE GOLDEN FOX

"I—I am called Haruhime...I'm very pleased to make your acquaintance!"

The words sheltered princess must have been invented to describe her, or so the young Mikoto thought as she studied the girl before her.

This was ten years before Mikoto and Haruhime would arrive in the Labyrinth City.

They were in the Far East.

The renart girl had arrived incognito at a shrine dedicated to Takemikazuchi and various other deities that took in children with no other relatives to depend on.

Her snow-pale skin seemed so fine it was as though it had never encountered dirt before, and her long golden hair looked woven from sunlight. Her green eyes glittered like a pair of emeralds. The beauty she possessed made her seem somehow divinely blessed and held the promise that she would grow into a woman of truly rare beauty. And to top that off, her pointed fox ears and furry tail were unbearably charming.

This was not the first time Mikoto had laid eyes on Haruhime the renart girl.

She had seen the lonely-looking girl in a mansion at the foot of the mountains and had even occasionally sneaked her out to play.

But seeing here again, here, now, she was struck anew by how different the worlds they lived in truly were.

It was Takemikazuchi who answered her brightly. "Ah, welcome, Haruhime! We made it through a tough winter thanks to you, so I'll gladly thank you for that."

Haruhime had been brought that day to meet Takemikazuchi and the others who lived at the shrine.

Haruhime was of noble birth and lived a life of ease, and when she had learned of the difficult circumstances of the shrine, had pleaded with her powerful father tospare them funds for food. This was an opportunity for Mikoto and the others to get to know the kind girl, but the main reason for her visit was so they could properly thank her.

Once the young Haruhime had introduced herself, the shrine's gods each took the chance to welcome her, but the reaction from the children there was muted.

This was not out of coldness. In fact, all of them were completely taken with the renart girl—such was Haruhime's beauty. It was true that she was of high birth, but she also exuded a natural elegance and concern for others. In the shabby self-contained world of the shrine, Haruhime was a single beautiful blossom.

The girls weren't immune, but the enchanted reactions of the boys were especiallynoticeable.

Haruhime's cheeks reddened; she seemed unused to attention from children her own age.

This awkwardness only made her more charming, and there was a murmur of "Hot damn...! " from among the assembled deities—although that reaction earned the speaker an elbow to the ribs from a goddess whose smiling face otherwise betrayed no trace of irritation.

"H-Haruhime is so cute...!" murmured Mikoto.

"She is. She's like a character out of a picture scroll come to life," said Chigusa.

Chigusa was also dazzled, even though she herself was helplessly enamored with Ouka, at whom she stole an uneasy glance.

Ouka, meanwhile, behaved exactly the same as usual. "Haruhime, what's wrong? Your face is red. Are you sick?" Even back then, he was as ignorant as Takemikazuchi when it came to understanding how girls felt.

"Haruhime, thanks for the food!"

"Wanna play?"

"M-me too!"

Haruhime was quickly surrounded by children, boys and girls alike pulling her along.

Mikoto didn't immediately join in, though, instead watching Haruhime's face intently. She tilted her head in concern, then went to find a certain goddess.